Thursday, May 22, 2014

An Interview With Jennifer Quek on Paris Marathon 2014

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


Jennifer Quek - Gunning for 3hr 30min in the long run

Picture 1 - (Left to Right) Jennifer Quek, myself and Lim Thow Wee. at the Arc de Triomphe after the Paris Marathon





























Jennifer Quek, 42, ran in the Berlin marathon 2013 and did a very good personal best time of 3hr 48min 23sec.  As a coach, I feel that she is all mental as seen in the Paris Marathon 2014.
As for myself, I had planned to train for the Paris Marathon 2014. I did a 48min plus in the Zoo Run 12km and was clocking a 40min kind of pace several times. As the National Schools' Track and Field and National Schools' Cross Country Championships were busy times for me, my mileage sadly plunged to 15km per week. 

I had a month left to train for the Paris Marathon and things were not falling into place for me as I could not do any form of mileage run. However, I decided to improve my 2.4km time, instead of running in the Paris Marathon. I was given a priority start, as I did 3hr 10min for the Standard Chartered Marathon 2013, and I was supposed to be alongside Lim Thow Wee at the start. 

Something told me to pull out totally from the race initially. However, after having some reflections and much consideration, I felt that it would be good to support Jennifer Quek and Lim Thow Wee in the race itself. It was my second trip to Paris as well. I finally decided not to back out. 

At the same time, I did a 2.4km 7min 56sec personal best time, while Lim Thow Wee did a 7min 44sec personal best time. Lim Thow Wee also did a 56min 39sec for the 15km on the running track. 

In Paris, Lim Thow Wee and I felt that we were having enough rest, although more rest would have helped Thow Wee do an even better time. Jennifer was only able to come one day before the race day. That would have taken away her rest that she actually needed for the race. 

Also, Thow Wee and I learnt that at each 5km mark there will be water drink points rather than isotonic drink points. Thow Wee discussed with me about the drink points and I suggested to take gels. We decided that he was to take gels at 5 points during the race.

Jennifer was not aware of this and we were not able to inform her of this immediately. The officials seemed to be just guessing that there may not be water points. We were told that the isotonic drinks were given at the 22km mark.

I saw Jennifer in the morning of the race and I decided then not use the priority start but to run alongside Jennifer and to give her whatever support I could. However, we went in the pen for the 3hr 45min. We went to the left-hand side of the pen. There, we thought that all the 3hr 45min runners will run together. 


Picture 2 - Standing Men (left to right) Kenneth Lai, Myself, Marcel Sng, Hong Yew Leong, Lim Szer Khee and Andrew Chang. Front Girls (left to right) Jennifer Quek, Tarandeep Kaur, Saranniya and Divya.

 

What happened was that they released a group of 3hr 45min runners on the right-hand side first just before us, as we were at the left-hand side of the runners. About 5000 runners ran in front of her. We were made to run behind them. This made Jennifer zig-zag all the way for the race which resulted in her not to attain her personal best time. 

However, even though I was feeling my legs suffering from glycogen depletion, Jennifer just kept doing her zig zag running. I slowed down a lot at the 25km mark as I was very tired from doing zig-zag running. 

I thought that from there, Jennifer was going to do a 4hr plus timing for the race as I saw her slowing down too. What happened was, when I finished the race, Thow Wee told me that he did 2hr 48min. It was the fastest time for a Singaporean in April 2014. (The time done by Derek Li is now the fastest for 2014 as of today, done in Boston Marathon, 2hr 42min). As for Ashley and Mok Ying Ren, they have not run any marathon yet for this year).

As for Jennifer, I was feeling very happy for her as she surmounted all obstacles and did a 3hr 53min for the race. In her last, 17km she ran herself well and she used her sheer willpower to run near her personal best time. Lim Thow Wee did not go through as many problems as Jennifer had, although Thow Wee had to also have to zig-zag and do a slow time for his race as well. Lim Thow Wee did more than 4min plus for the first-kilometre mark and after some kilometres mark, he did 3min 52sec pace for most parts of the race. He was forced to run slow at the earlier part of the race as there were runners blocking him for the earlier part of the race. 

The distance covered by Jennifer was 42. 7km, according to her watch GPS. That is about 500m extra distance covered. 

Hence, I believe that her run should be estimated to be a 3hr 40min if things were in place for her, and it was a sad thing that things did not work out well for the start of the race. 

I believe that it is important to learn about things that are controllable, and what is not, to do a very good time in a race. Thus, I believe Jennifer's interview about her run in the Paris Marathon will be very beneficial for many.

An Interview With Jennifer Quek

Picture 3 - Introducing Jennifer Quek

















What was the time that you were aiming for?
After the Berlin Marathon 2013, last year, I was aiming to do the next race to be between 3.40 to 3.45 in order to qualify for the Boston Marathon.
What was the time that you attained?
I did 3:53:13 for Paris Marathon 2014.
How was the water /isotonic points?
think maybe more water stations could have been provided as bottled water was given at every 5km instead, and there was only one isotonic point at 22km mark. I remember not having any water from 27-30km, where I had to pick up a thrown water bottle from the roadside to hydrate myself.
How do you find the route of the race?
Running run and down the bridges on the Seine and the tunnels were something that was quite heavy for me. The forests of Boulogne and Vincennes lacked spectator support and it made the distance to look longer. However,  I found the weather perfect on that day.
Do you like to run here again?
Yes, so that I may get a PB time. Actually, the race was organised in an orderly manner and the start point was done in a well-mannered way. 

Were you happy with the race time?
I was quite upset with my time earlier on. But this has only made me a stronger person and it is a push factor for me to train harder for the next race.
 Anything that you feel that you have learnt that is going to allow you to do a good time?
This trip was a bit rush for me as I landed on Saturday noon after a long flight. I rushed to collect my race pack in the afternoon and only got to rest in the evening after dinner. Ideally, a runner should always reach the destination (for an overseas race) a week earlier before to adapt to jet-lag to allow our body and mind to adjust accordingly. This could be one of the reasons why I was not able to get my desired timing. 

What is your next goal?
Currently, I am focusing and working on the qualifying for Boston Marathon and will continue to train for a long term goal of bringing the timing down to 3hr 30min, eventually.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.