Saturday, July 13, 2013

Why I did not break the National Record further

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

National Record-Breaking - People did not notice me in the past, now they notice.

I knew that in order to run and break the national marathon record, I was not supposed to keep looking for my NSA or SSC for any kind of support. I was also under the influence of Yoga books where it was told that we should learn to depend on ourselves for chasing our dream. 


Breaking the national record the first time. - Hong Kong Marathon Feb 1990

Chasing my dream, I did. At first, in 1990, in Hong Kong, I did a time of 2hr 31min and broke Tan Choon Ghee's national record which lasted for a few months as he broke Goh Gam Seng's national record which lasted for several years. Tan Choon Ghee's record was 2hr 34min done in China. My training was all done in Singapore. 

Second Time Breaking the National Record - 2hr 30min in California Marathon

This was done in California Pacific Rim Marathon, USA. My training was all done in Singapore. I did a time of 2hr 30min for this. I was awarded a merit award for this by the then Singapore Amateur Athletic Association. Most of my training for this marathon was all funded by me. I used to race in Malaysia and find my own race there, assisted by Mr Chan Meng Hui. I did not go to the western countries for this quest. It was my own representation of these races that developed me as a good runner. 

Third Time Breaking the National Record 

This was done when I was in England training with my coach Alan Guilder and my training partner was Tim Dickinson. At first, I did not take my coach as a coach. However, having done a time of 2hr 29min for London Marathon in April 1993, I decided to take him as a coach after London Marathon in 1993.

Fourth Time Breaking the National Record 

After training with Coach Alan Guilder for just two months, I had a massive improvement in running.  I registered myself in the Berlin Marathon. I could have done a 2hr 25min there, but I was distracted helping a Kenyan top runner who wanted help.  This made me to, a day before the Berlin Marathon 1993, have a rest of 3hrs just before the start of the race. 

During the race, I also pushed myself too hard for the earlier part of the race. Around 17km of the race, two women started to overtake me. I just kept pacing myself with them all the way and was able to sustain like that until for the last 3km. They split from me at the last 3km.

Finally, I did a 2hr 28min. Both women open runners did 2hr 25min and the second runner did 2hr 26min. 

Fifth time Breaking the National Record

I was sent to Thailand to run in the Chiengmei marathon, 9 months before the SEA Games itself, also at the same venue. The officials there told us that they wanted to test the route just before the SEA Games. We felt that the place was very cooling and flat. I did 2hr 29min and became the first qualifier for the SEA Games 1995 as I was faster than the previous SEA Games marathon bronze timing. 

Here, I knew that I should take full- time training which the SAAA was not really supportive of this idea. I had to go to India to relax and to think about whether to run in the SEA Games or not. The SAA kept calling me to see that I was able to run and they were willing to write in to SSC to help me financially.

I did not get full funding. I asked the SSC to fund me half and I do some form of coaching to get the other half. SSC gave me $1500 under GLOW Grant and I was coaching Catholic High School's school cross-country team. I was training and coaching for the next 6 month from the end of May to end of November 1995. 

I wanted to train with Coach Alan Guilder in England and it was not given support by SAAA. I felt that if I had gone to train under him, I could have brought the gold medal to Singapore in the year 1995. It is still my firm believe even until now. That was the big mistake by them I guess, by them.

Hence, quitely, I trained in Singapore for the next 6th month, after a 5 weeks holiday in India with practically no running at all. It was a similar form of training that I had done with Alan, just before my Berlin 1993 marathon race.

Finally, I did 2hr 24min 22sec in Chiengmei SEA Games. Yvonne Danson, a female runner from Singapore also broke the National Record to 2hr 34min for the women's record. Just a few months before the SEA Games Yvonne Danson had done a time of 2hr 32min and was placed 3rd in the Commonwealth Championships.

Just before the SEA Games, Yvonne Danson was coached by her coach in England. However, she used to train with me for some tempo runs and was quite regularly coming down for my circuit training for strength training. Her husband, Tan Choon Ghee, sometimes used to join us also.

The good thing that happened was that both of us qualified for the Olympics. Although she was second in SEA Games 1995 for the marathon race, she was given the chance to run in the Olympics. She was hoping that I will also be able to come with her for the Olympics. 

Although, I qualified in the 'B' Category of the Olympics. I needed the nod from SSC and SAAA. The officials favoured the medal winners of SEA Games for track and field even though they did not meet the Olympic qualifying time. This made no sense to me but I was willing to accept this decision.

Nevertheless, by making it to the Olympic qualifying mark, I told myself that my dream has been realised. There is no need to keep breaking the National Record as it was pointless. The funny thing is that I was thinking that by going National Service for 2 1/2 years will destroy my dream. As a matter of fact, it was not so. I was able to do my national service, get into the CAT A (very fit) platoon in Basic Military Training and did the leadership courses and finally went to 1st Signal Unit to serve rest of my 2 1/2 years.  

In short, my training started after doing my National Service and it lasted until I reached 29 years of age, after doing 2hr 24min 22sec. I decided to keep fit from then onwards. 
 
To my surprise, I realise that it is only now that people are starting to appreciate the time 2hr 24min 22sec. It was all done as a normal citizen of Singapore. 

 www.runningcoachsg.com  If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.