Thursday, July 25, 2013

Lincoln Han does 3hr 37min 33sec personal best time in Gold Coast Marathon 2013

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Lincoln Han - Will always be close at heart for Ashley Liew and me



Last year, on our way to the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, we met a young Japanese lady who actually got down from the same bus that Ashley and I were taking. We thought that she knew where the Convention and Exhibition Centre was. Finally, we found out that she did not know the place just like us and she decided to ask us instead. Ashley and I felt it was about 1.5km to 2km away as we saw the place from far. She requested in a polite manner to bring us there.

She followed us all the way until we reached the place. Once reached, She was grateful to us for bringing her there. At the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, we met Lincoln Han and his wife Doris Teo. Both couple warmly welcomed us and quickly requested us to take a photo with them. 

Both Ashley and I took a photo with Doris and Lincoln. Actually, we were taken aback as we did not expect this form of gesture from anyone. Seeing this, the Japanese girl also wanted to take a photo with Ashley and I. This all happened way back last year. 

Later on, over time, Lincoln and Doris came for Ashley Liew talk on running at Kembangan Community Club. He asked us some intelligent questions pertaining to running. From there I realised that Lincoln was an avid runner. He was an inquisitive person. 

After our meeting at the talk on running, we did not see Lincoln for a long time. Over time, we somehow met again in the Gold Coast marathon race. He told me that he did 3hr 37min for this marathon race. I was happy to hear that as he did approximately about 10min improvement and it was his personal best time. We took photos together there in Gold Coast. 

When I came back to Singapore, I was thinking of featuring this gentleman, who is close at heart to me and Ashley. He usually gives VIP treatment whenever he meets us. I decided that I should interview him and he consented to this. I believe that through this interview that I had with him would inspire others to improve their time as well.

I will also be putting up a newspaper cutting on his weight loss that took place due to his exercise regimen.  

 Picture 2 - Lincoln looks up to Ashley Liew to do well in running

An Interview With Lincoln Han

1. What was the time that you did in Gold Coast Marathon last year? 
My time was 3hr 48min  41sec

2. Were you happy with the time? 
Nope. I did a post-modem after the race and I kept feeling that I could have done at least 2 to 3 minutes faster.

3. Do you have a personal best time for the marathon? 
Yes. I did.

4. What was the time that you did for this year Gold Coast Marathon race? 
3:37:33

5. How did you train for this year's Gold Coast Marathon? 
3 months prior GCAM, I stopped eating durians and avoided deep fried stuff, besides eating cereal porridge at midday to help me to prevent overeating at night.

On physical training, I tried to run at least once a day ranging from 4km to 15km. I also ran 6 long runs up to 32km, 3 weeks before I tapered. 1 1/2 months before CGAM, I did some speed training on track (1 km x 5) or (400 x 6) with an average mileage of 70km per week. As I am injury prone, I took coach Rameshon and Ashley Liew's advice at heart - run on gentle ground as much as possible. These include running trails at MacRitchie and Bukit Brown cemetery.

On mental training, I read the articles on coach Ram's blog. It helps to fine-tune the mental aspect.

6. Are you happy with the performance?
Yes. I am contented as I didn't train much and definitely not as consistent as compared to 2012 due to recovering from runner's knee.

7. Can you share with us your 10km splits for the marathon this year? 
[Lincoln] Not sure about the split time. Here is what I copied from the "Result" page:
5KM 00:25:34
10KM 00:25:32
15KM 00:25:29
20KM 00:25:08
25KM 00:25:45
30KM 00:25:25
35KM 00:25:53
40KM 00:26:46
Finish  03:37:33


 www.runningcoachsg.com If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.