Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Gold Coast Marathon 10km - Xu Pei Hua Does 54min 07sec

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Xu Pei Hua - Still keeps herself fit while studying for her PHD.

Picture 1 -  Team Singapore Photo, just before the start of the race.

Two people who showed great leadership quality and who brought up Dunearn Secondary School in the early 90s were Helen Toh and Xu Pei Hua. I was their teacher-coach at time. Both made the school emerge as the champions in 1991 for the B division (Under 17 girls category) during the National Schools' Cross Country Championships. Right now, you cannot hear about neighbourhood schools performing well as compared to the past results. We need some real reflection in this. It is my firm belief that every school have very good runners who need to be developed to be a fast runner. 

Picture 2 - (Left to Right) Coach Rameshon, Ashley Liew and Pei Hua holding the Singapore Flag.


Anyway, coming back to the story of Dunearn Secondary, I had this athlete by the name of Xu Pei Hua, who actually ran for us in the Under 14 girls race and came in individual 3rd in the race. She was a very hard working girl in training. An intense dedication was shown in her running days. 

Later on, she went to ACJC to join the school's cross country team. While she was there, an unfortunate accident happened which ended up on her training pattern being changed drastically. She had to stop running and look after her mother who had an accident which was quite a serious one and that made Pei Hua to just maintain fitness. 

Picture 3 - Xu Pei Hua, a few seconds after her 10km run.

Over time, she joined our Team Flexifitness as an IT person. Over time, she had to travel to Australia to study at the Queensland University of Technology for her doctorate studies in IT. We do keep in touch and she kept her fitness regime regularly. 

Recently, knowing that we will be coming to run, she maintained contact with us. She told me that she was aiming for a 55min to 1hr run Gold Coast Marathon 10km run.

Picture 4 - A picture with running legend Steve Moneghetti (in the centre)


Eventually, during the run, she did a time of 54min 07sec and made Team Flexifitness proud. I did not expect this kind of time. I thought that she would have been down and out because of her studies.

Hence, I decided to interview her on the ability to balance studies with running well, just like our Team Flexifitness top runner Ashley Liew, who is right now doing his doctorate in Chiropractic Studies in Sherman College. Moreover, I feel that many will be inspired by Xu Pei Hua's capability to manage things well. 

Picture 5 - Ready to run the Southern Cross University 10km Run of Gold Coast Marathon



An Interview With Xu Pei Hua

What are you doing for the moment in terms of your academic work?
I am applying IT skills to my passion for running. I am fortunate to be offered a PhD scholarship by Queensland Academy of Sports and Queensland University of Technology, School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences. The current research is looking at determining the optimal or most economical running speed for individual long-distance runners. The main part of my thesis is to find a novel method to improve efficiency in human movement.

How were you able to balance studies with running before the Gold Coast Marathon?
Frankly it is a constant struggle. Since I am overseas, I have to juggle between working parttime, doing experiments, studying, cooking and doing housework. I have to fix a time or squeeze in any time I have to train. I join QUT running club and encourage my research friends to join me in running too. This gives me some pressure to get out there and run.

What made you take part in the 10km race (6/07/2013) of the Gold Coast Marathon?
10 years ago I went to the Gold Coast and I find the beach is very beautiful. Furthermore, I have heard from Mr Rameshon that this is a world-class route, it is very flat and many people will achieve their Personal Best times in Gold Coast Marathon. These thoughts enticed me to want to do the Gold Coast Marathon. My first year in PhD was really busy and I did not have much time to train. I heeded the advice of my PhD supervisor and decided that I should do a 10 km race first this year and train one full year for the marathon.

How was your preparation for this race?
I signed up with my friends for QUT Classic 10km run organised by QUT. Trained together with QUT running club and my colleagues. I ran below 1 hour for the QUT Classic, despite the hills and windy route. I even felt quite comfortable after the race. This gives me confidence for Gold Coast Marathon 10km. I remembered how I used to train with Mr Rameshon. I ran 3-4 times a week with long runs on weekends.

Can you share with us some details of the race?
In the morning, Mr Rameshon accompanied me to the starting line and said he will be waiting at the finishing point for me. This reminds me of my secondary school days when he used to give lots of prep talk before the race. The thought of someone is waiting for me at the finish line motivates me.

There was a small drama. I left my number tag in Brisbane. I went up to the officials and they issued me a wristband. The wristband that enables me to run the race without a number tag. I am very grateful for that. The morning was chilly. I planned to do a 5min 30sec /km pace throughout. At the start, my legs felt really light. It might be because the weather was quite cold and refreshing. So I ran at 5min 15sec /km pace. The scenery after 6km point was beautiful. The last few km I struggled to maintain my 5min 15sec /km pace and dropped back to 5min 30sec /km pace.

What was your time for the race?
I did a 54 min 07 sec for the 10 km race.

Are you happy with your time?
I am very happy as I planned to finish more than 55 min but in fact, did better.

Is there a difference incoming for the race alone, running the race and coming here and stay as a group and run the race?
It is definitely different. Going for the race as a group gives me a lot of moral support. After the race, we had dinner together to celebrate and it was fun, as all we talked about was running and sports. Overall I find that going to races together is fun and motivating. We have opportunities to cheer for one another, meet like-minded people, share the experience and celebrate the race. It makes the race more enjoyable and complete.

What would you like to say to those who want to have a balance in academic pursuits and sports?
I think in whatever you do, exercise is essential for one to stay healthy physically, feel better about yourself, increases our ability to focus and perform better. In my academic pursuit, there are endless things that I would like to do but many times ideas came during my long runs. So I try to keep running despite being busy. Without a goal, I find it hard to be disciplined for my runs. So I sign up for races and set a target time to achieve. With this target set, I will find running clubs and friends to train with and work towards my target time. Furthermore I believe in resting on Sunday. Resting from work gives me fresh energy for the week. Running is my form of resting too

What is your next goal in running?

My next main goal will be to do a sub 4 hr for Gold Coast marathon. So I plan races in between like Bridge to Brisbane and Standard Chartered Half Marathon to reach my target.

Picture 6 - (From left to right) Xu Pei Hua, Coach Noorshida Ibrahim, Doris Teo, Ashley Liew, Ganesh, Coach Rameshon, Ranjith W, Lincoln Make Tea and Lim Thow Wee


 www.runningcoachsg.com
If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg









Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.