Monday, June 11, 2012

Lin Run 'er - Ready To Take On Gold Coast Marathon 2012

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Lin Run'er - Preparing To Run Gold Coast Airport Marathon
I met Lin Run’er when she was in Hwa Chong Institution (college). Over a period of time, among some of them who used to keep themselves running, I realized that she was very fond of running. In a previous interview, she had mentioned that it is important to set aside time to keep oneself fit by running or do some exercise or sports. Recently, I have seen her running at CCAB, MOE Evans Road track doing workouts. Using common-sense I believe that she is training very hard for the upcoming Gold Coast Marathon 2012.  After my 10km run on one day before the marathon, I am going to enjoy myself watching the sea and the race at Gold Coast. In the past, both Ashley and I had a terrific time and the stay was memorable. More memorable was the stay I had at my sister’s place in Melbourne. In this blog post, I have interviewed Lin Run’er who is now teaching at Raffles Junior College. This will be a motivational thing to read for avid runners in Singapore. I hope that Ashley and she do well there. All the best!


 Picture 1 - Lin Run'er



Why do you like running?
That's a simple question but very difficult to answer. Running is fun, healthy, hassle-free, invigorating, empowering, and I could go on. I always feel better after a run no matter how it went.

When was the first time you ran a marathon race?
December 2007

How many marathons have you run so far?
8




Can you share with us on the most challenging race that you had ever run?
It would have to be the Desaru Long Distance Triathlon in 2007. I didn't have enough mileage and had totally no idea on race nutrition. I started the race with totally no refuelling plans, besides a bottle of water on my bike. Thankfully the supporters were kind and offered me food but I didn't know what to do with it. Suffered big time during the run and had to walk most of the 21km. What made the race challenging was my ignorance and lack of preparation.

What is your personal best time?
3hr 33min for the marathon

Can you share with us on how many months or years it took to achieve your personal best time?
6 years (since I started running)

Why did you choose the Gold Coast Marathon race 2012?
I've heard lots of good things about the event from my friends who went in the previous years. And I've never run a cool-weather marathon before so I wanted to experience how it is like. (Fingers crossed that the weather will turn out nice)

How is your training preparation for the race?
I've trained a lot less than usual the past few months mostly due to work, sickness, and some minor injuries. But now that it's the school holidays I'm trying to run as often as I can.

What kind of time are you going for?
I usually don't think about the time while running the marathon 'cos it drains my mental energy. So I tell myself to have fun and enjoy the run, run at an appropriate effort and the timing will take care of itself. It has worked pretty well so far, so I don't think I'm going to set a timing target for myself this time… it drains my mental energy since my Math is really bad. So I tell myself to have fun etc..

What are the advantages of running in Gold Coast Marathon 2012?
I'll let you know after I've run the marathon!

Will you be running in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2012 this year?
Yes!
 
www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.