Thursday, June 7, 2012

Gold Coast 10KM, 30th June 2012 Preparation

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Gold Coast, Australia, Here I Come

It was a God send invitation to me when someone asked me whether I would like to run in the 10km race in Gold Coast Airport Marathon's Southern Cross University Challenge. At first, I told myself that whether I may get the same injury again, after a long time of out of scene from the competition. For the past 1 year, I have been happily enjoying the feeling of not being injured and keep myself fit for life. This same message has been given by Dr Benedict Tan, who later on wrote a book on 'Run For Your Life'.  I believe this to be 100% true. 

I also would like to assist Ashley Liew as a coach as he will be running the marathon there on 1st July 2012, one day after the 10km Southern Cross University race. Something told me to register for the race. I did not train much earlier but at all times I was doing Yoga most of the time, especially Hatha Yoga, with deep breath taken at the same time to double up vitality in me. I felt that my ITB problem was totally solved, and I also felt that there are efficient ways to change one's walking, sitting and running habit that will enable one to avoid all forms of injury and in fact to run much faster. As I was able to play games and run and walk without any injury, finally, I had decided to run in the Southern Cross University 10km. 

People may ask what is my goal. The answer is to remain fit and enjoy running. In the past, I had ever told myself that youth is a time to venture out and achieve one's physical goal. After 40, I had the foresight that the body will not respond well. Since, in the past, I have run and did 5 sub - 2hr 30mins and below for the marathon overseas, it is time for me to enjoy watching the young ones challenge themselves. 

While doing some jog and walk with my friend Ashok Kumar, recently, I met up with my school-mate Tan Eng Howe who came to meet me. He told me that he had taken a resolution this year to focus on health. Tan Eng Howe is a professional photographer and was welcomed by me to join me in Flexifitness, to bring coaching to another level. Yesterday and today, we ran 10km and 6km, respectively, at MacRitchie Reservoir. As I can remember Tan Eng Howe, he was my training partner who used not to miss any training. At the age of 15, we used to run 15km 3 days per week. Later on, we went under our then Cross-Country teacher-in-charge by the name of Mr Lui Seng Cheong, who is currently the Principal of Queensway Secondary School. We came in third in National School Cross-Country in the year 1981. It was because of the hard work of Mr Lui Seng Cheong who was responsible for making us do well. 

Yesterday, Eng Howe and I took a photograph at Macritchie Reservoir at the ranger station. 

Picture 1 - It looks like both of us believe in health and fitness for life.
















Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.