Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sabah Adventure Race - Johnson comes in 14th position

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sabah Adventure Race.  - The Return of Johnson Jacob
  
 
Recently, my friend Johnson Jacob, 46, also my previous class-mate in primary school, saw me and told me that he would like to join us for training in CCAB, at Bukit Timah. I told him about the dates. He told me that when he finishes the Sabah Adventure Race he will join the training for next year's Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon Race. He told me that he wants to do a 3hr 20min. Judging from the mileage that he has been clocking, I believe that obtaining the 3hr 30min is very possible.

Johnson has taken part in the Sahara Desert 250 km run in the past with Mika Kume and a training partner by the name of Christian. Johnson has taken part in several ultra-marathon challenges and has made us proud of these achievements.

As such, I have decided to interview Johnson as he had just completed one of the world toughest courses at Sabah. 

An interview with Johnson Jacob.

What is the race that you participated on recently?
I just did the Sabah Adventure Race, this year it’s also known as TMBT (The Most Beautiful Thing)

Where was it held?
In Sabah itself.

What is the distance of the race?
There are 25km/50km and 100km. I decided to do the 50km.

How was the training go for this race?
It’s good, I’m more prepared now than the North Face 100km.

How did you fair for this race?
The terrain was no easy feat. I came in 14th, my time was 9hr 40 mins.

Why did you take up the challenge?
I was injured in the 1st half of the year and was fortunate to have recovered in Aug. I decided to begin short distance and on soft ground so I chose trial race.

Any other race that you will be taking part next?
Not anymore in 2011, I am currently planning a few endurance races next in 2012.

What do you have to say to those who are thinking of taking up this challenge?
Train well and make the attempt, believe me, the experience is unbelievable.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.