Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Brendan Lee - Giving Marathon a Miss

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Brendan Lee, one of the top 10 winners of Standard Chartered Marathon 2010 has decided to pull out of the race and do Phuket Half Iron Man race. In the recent Powerman Malaysia race, he did well by coming in third. 

He had decided to take part in Phuket Half Iron Man 2011 a long time back and he has been training for this very seriously.  Now that the race is coming nearer, he is sharing on the upcoming race, his preparation and his goal. I did an interview on him as he did a good time there with a good personal best time for the Powerman race in Malaysia. Let us hear from him. 

Picture 1 - Brendan Lee is preparing for the upcoming Phuket Half-Ironman race 2011

Can you tell us more about the race that you have participated recently?
1) It was Powerman Malaysia 2011. The race is a duathlon so it consists of run-bike-run (11km, 64km and 10km). The race is meant to be tough with temperatures soaring to 35 deg.
Where, when and at what time this event was held?

2) The race was held at Seri Manjung in Perak, Malaysia. The race started at 7.30am.
How did the training go for this event?

3) My training for the bike was good. I clocked 165km for my longest bike ride. The run training wasn't so good though. I did a long run with racers and injured my knee. Hence, I had to run on grass only and at moderate pace.
What was your prediction for this race?

4) I predicted to do a similar time as last year which was 3hr 21min. I expected my run to be slower and bike to be faster.
Any mental practice that you did for this race?

5) I visualized the race course and tried to make corrections based on my experience last year.
How did your family feel about your race?

6) My parents are proud of the outcome as I improved on both time and position.
What is your next goal?

7) My next goal will be the Phuket Half Ironman where I intend to try for a personal best even though the course is harder than the Singapore Half Ironman.
8 and 9) Are you running in the std chartered marathon?

Why are you not running in the std chartered marathon?

8 and 9) I will not be running the Singapore Marathon as it clashes with the half ironman race. I decided to pursue triathlons this year and therefore had to sacrifice the marathon.
What is your long term goal?

10) I intend to run the marathon and do a sub 3hr timing within the next year or two. I also want to complete a full ironman race at some point.
                                    
www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.