Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dr Benny Goh on New York Marathon - An Exclusive Interview

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


On 6th November, Dr Benny Goh ran the New York Marathon 2011, after being out of action for several weeks as he was injured due to a meniscus tear. With some weeks to go, he mustered his courage to make the best of the worst situation and did a 2hr 52min to everyone's amazement. Although his aim earlier was to do a sub - 2hr 50min, things changed for the worst with the meniscus injury. Over time, his quick decision to carry on running the New York Marathon made him go for a reasonable time with some form of training and the race finally paid a dividend. With this time, there is actually a 90% chance that he may get top 3 in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2011. However, he has other plans along the way to go for. He also shared with me on the ordeal that he had to undergo during the race with tired glutes on a series of uphills. 

Hence, let me share with all on what thoughts he had shared with me through an interview.
 
Picture 1 - Dr Benny Goh and Dr Ben Tan (3hr 10min)

How long did it take to prepare for this race?
I had only about one month to train for the New York Marathon. I tore my right lateral meniscus and was out off action for almost 5 weeks, having to skip the Army Half Marathon. I started my training without much confidence because I felt that my fitness level had deteriorated during the 5 weeks of rest. My intention was to get back my fitness so as to be able to complete the race with a decent time. I did only long runs and hills at a moderate pace. I did not do any speed work at all, fearing that it would trigger another injury. 

Why did you take this race as opposed to running in 2011 Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon?
New York is one of the 5 world majors. I had gotten my race slot by qualification and I will definitely not want to miss the chance to run in this AIMS gold label race. And rarely do I have the chance to run with almost 40000 people, all doing a full marathon!

What was your strategy for the race?
Due to my very recent injury, I was quite conservative with my race strategy. My plan was to keep at a race pace which will not trigger any pain in my right knee. I set my watch timer at 6:30 min per mile as there distance markers were in miles (except for the 5km markers). I ended the run with a pain-free right knee but with painful glutes due to the hilly route!

What were your split times for the race?
I averaged a 6min 36sec per mile

Who did you go with for this race?
I was there with 7 Singaporean runners, including one of my running buddies Dr Ben Tan.

Is there anything special about the race?
The marathon atmosphere was fantastic. The race was able to attract runners, both competitive as well as leisure runners from all over the world to meet in New York and run their own race. I hope Singapore will one day be able to achieve this. And I will sell this race to anyone who wants to do an overseas run.

What do you treasure most about this race during your stay here in New York?
The whole race atmosphere. The crowd support was awesome. Except for the bridges (spectators were not allowed on them), every stretch of the route was filled with supporters cheering the runners on. The crowd really would make any tired runners felt embarrassed if they were to stop and walk.  And after the race on my way back to the hotel, I got so many congratulatory wishes from strangers along the streets!

Are you happy about your race?
Yes certainly! With only 1 month of conservative training, I was able to do a sub-3-hour timing even though I did not beat my last personal record.

What is your next goal?
Do well for London and Chicago Marathon 2012

What is your long term goal?
To be able to continue running, injury-free.......


http://flexifitness.runningcoachsg.com/
Takes care of health, fitness and performance


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.