Sunday, February 6, 2011

Jared Hui - 8min 03sec, 2.4km, With 2 Months Training.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Jared Hui - Potential to come in as the champion for National Schools' Cross-Country Championships 2012.


I met Jared Hui around June/July. He wanted to come into Hwa Chong Institution (college) for the direct school admission (DSA). I was avoiding these type of runners who want to be tested but they did not run the National Schools' Cross-Country Championships.  However, I found that this boy was from St Hilda's Secondary School. He has been coming in first for all the years in his own school cross-country championships but was not spotted by anyone. Hence, to be fair to the boy, I gave him a chance to do the 2.4km trial on the track.

Jared ran the two rounds in a fantastic manner with very beautiful strides. Straightaway, I felt that he ran the two rounds too fast. After the two laps, he ran slower over the next few rounds. I got the time as 9min 20sec. Jared did not meet my 8min 20sec criteria.

The father was there and I told that Jared did not know how to run efficiently. I felt that Jared would be able to do 8minutes flat. However, it will take at least 3 months to do this. There is no guarantee in this, at the same time. Worse still, Jared, instead of studying, has to juggle with running 3 times per week.

After a month's training, I told Jared to go and study fully for the GCE 'O' Levels and keep himself fit. With a month training, Jared did 18min 52sec in a 5km time-trial.

I did not see Jared until I met him after his GCE 'O' Levels. Jared took a break by going on holidays and decided to train. Following the training program that I gave him, he was able to do 18min 10sec for the 5km time-trial. recently at Bedok Reservoir.

I felt that here is a guy who has great potentials. Last week, Jared went down to Catholic Junior College for a 2.4km time trial and he did 8min 03sec. Even though his appeal to Hwa Chong was not a success, his appeal to CJC was a success.

The mother wrote me an e-mail to thank me for enabling the son to join CJC. I felt very touched by this expression of gratitude. As for me, there was a sense of satisfaction that he landed in CJC. He was supposed to go to polytechnic but the running has given him a chance to pursue a college education. It was an achievement in terms of doing service to Jared, who I feel is a 15 pointer in GCE 'O' Levels and a very disciplined, determined and courageous boy. For next, he also has the chance to be the champion with my prediction, if the training goes well. All the best to him!

I thought of interviewing him. Later on, I thought of putting the message of the mother's gratitude for my service to the son's running progress.

E-mail from Mrs Hui (Jared's mother)

Dear Rameshon,
Thanks for your best wishes you sent over the phone yesterday.

Jared joined the Catholic Junior College's orientation on Tuesday itself and is adjusting himself well there. But he missed the boys at HCJC. He said that they were good running buddies whom he had already bonded.

In addition, the timing that Jared achieved at the CJC's trial was all due to your training. Without your training, Jared would not be able to secure a place at CJC. Many thanks.

Best Regards,
Mrs Hui


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.