Sunday, July 18, 2010

How to improve pull-up (Part 2)? Feng Meng Ke's Story

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Feng MengKe - The Incredible

This is an interesting interview and it is on determination. Feng MengKe of Hwa Chong Institution obtained zero for his pull-up score for the NAPFA Test, in late April. He is from Health and Fitness Club and School Cross-Country Club. Once I knew this, I told him to improve on his pull up score in order to improve on running.

I told him the story of Colin Ng, who is now a J2 student as well in Hwa Chong Institution (College) to infuse faith, hope and believe in him. Most of the pull-up sessions MengKe did on his own for training. Sometimes, he used to come down for training and do the pull-up training during our CCA training. Just a month back, his pull-up score was 8. In the recent test, he scored 9, eventually.

I remember MengKe not able to do any pull up. He did not have the strength to go up and I had to counsel him on his goal to do well in pull-ups. He took the advice seriously and finally did the impossible. I believe that this interview will be an inspiration for all those who want to improve the pull-up score.

He was asked to share his experience on how he got 9 pull-ups within 3 months.


An Interview With MengKe
Which level are you at in Hwa Chong College?
I’m currently J2 in Hwa Chong.

Which items of the test battery are you weak at for the NAPFA Test?
Pull-ups.

What is your pull up score about 3 months back?
0.

What is your pull up score now?
9.

How did you train up for pull up? Can you give us in detail?
At first in my first Napfa test near the end of April, I could not do any pull-ups despite having started training for it since about a month. At that point, I felt very disappointed with myself because I felt that I should at least be able to do 1 or 2. Hence, from that day on, I decided to train harder. I trained every day from Monday to Friday and rested on Saturday and Sunday. For training, I trained with a friend. We assisted each other in doing pull-ups. We did about 4 sets of 6 pull-ups. Other than this, I would go to the gym and train pull-ups there once or twice per week. I used this method to train until it is about the June holidays. By this time, I could do about 3 to 4 pull-ups on my own. I improved by about 1 pull up per week. During the June holidays, for training I just did my maximum number of pull-ups without assistance about 3 times per day, usually in the morning, afternoon and at night. I rest on 1 day in a week, usually either Saturday or Sunday. In addition to this, I went to the gym once a week. Using this method, I increased my pull-ups by on average 1 every week. By the end of the June holidays, I could do about 8 pull-ups. After that, because of the block test, I did my maximum number of pull-ups only once every day and by the time it was my napfa test, which was 2 weeks after the June holidays, I managed to do 9 pull-ups during the test.

Do you feel that the pull up score affects the running performance?
Yes, a higher pull-up score makes you feel stronger.

What is your advice to people who have failed the pulled test?
You need to train consistently. By training consistently, you can improve more quickly.

What is your advice to people who has zero for pull up?
You need to work hard and train consistently. It is possible to improve from zero to a high score but you need to be willing to work hard.

Do you feel that the pull-up score will enhance one’s self-esteem (self-worth)?
Yes, you will feel more confident about yourself.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.