Saturday, July 3, 2010

Marathon Runners That I Coached/Assisted (Part 2) - N. Ganesan (2hrs 46min)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

N. Ganesan (Current 5000m - 14min 57sec - National Record Holder )

The Invincible Runner Who Had His Dream Fulfilled

N. Ganesan - Training and running for 6 Div in the past.



Note: When both, N. Ganesan and I, met we had a dream. We worked for it and finally attained it. Working with Ganesan, I realised that he was not attached to fame for we know that fame is only temporary. The struggle and sacrifice to do what which were worth doing. As for me, I started off as a coach. I applied the coaching principles on others and found that the method works. Later on, I implemented them on myself and did well. I always believe in helping others and also know that the help will come back. I also like the phrase 'Help ever, Hurt never'. By helping others, I have reached my goal. While helping others, I did not at any point lose any form of focus in my own training.

The N. Ganesan Story

When I saw Ganesan, he was coming in first for cross-country races in the junior section while I was coming in first for the senior races. After the race, Ganesan and I spoke for a while and I realised that he was not a proud runner. When I had to go for my training run at Macritchie Reservoir, I used to meet this ardent young runner. Soon, we became friends and we used to chat. As he was young, Ganesan used to be courteous which was outwardly shown. After some time, I told him that he is bouncing most of the time during his run. He was told to run more horizontal plane and not go vertically up. He was told not to waste his energy by running in an upward motion. I knew that this runner could go far if he reduces his bouncing. Later on, his bouncing reduced and subsequently his speed went up.

Also, my friends by the name of Tulasi Das and Dayalan who were from Red Hawk Club were also the friends of Ganesan. Both of them told me that Ganesan has the tendency to stop during a race, especially the 10km race. I did see this once when Dayalan showed to me Ganesan stopping in a 10km race and laughed at it. I even saw Ganesan, not only stopping in the race but also turning behind as well.

At first, Ganesan used to join us for fun runs. However, over time, after seeing Harpreet's meteoric rise, he decided to come under me to train. In one of the cross-country race in MacRitchie Reservoir around the early 90s, I won the Men's Open individual and he won the men junior individual race. Both of us were featured in the Chinese newspaper, either Wen Bao or Zao Bao.

Both of us became the best of friends from that day onwards. After some time, Ganesan and Harpreet used to train for the National School Cross-Country Championships. In one of the race, 1991, N. Ganesan, finally surpassed Harpreet Singh's personal best of 14min 47sec for 4.8km to 14min 46sec. In 1991, even though Abimanyu, trained by Sivalingam, was the favourite to win in the National Schools' Cross-Country Championships for A Division, he was capable of doing sub 15min for the race, he was defeated by N. Ganesan.

After some time, while teaching for three years, in Clementi Town Secondary School, finally I decided to go for my further studies. As Oct 1992 was approaching for me to go for my studies, I was still doing long run training sessions with Ganesan, Harpreet, Elangovan and Li Tienye. I was thinking of giving these talented athletes to a teacher-coach, rather than a coach because I did not want these athletes to neglect their studies. I found usually teacher-coach is more responsible than coaches in guiding their career.

The national coach, Sivalingam, at that time told me to give all of my athletes to him. I was apprehensive over this. I did not want the students to suffer in their studies and have a problem when they come out to work in adult life. To me, my focus was on studies and running and I found both to be of utmost importance in life to continue running. I did not want to compromise on this. Like how I suffered earlier, I did not want these athletes to suffer. I was, in fact, thinking about their welfare before leaving Singapore for England.

Hence, with this in mind, finally, I gave all my athletes to Eric Song, the then ACS (Independent) sports secretary at that time. Before giving all the athletes to Eric, I made Ganesan to do a personal best of 15min 31sec from a time of 16m 46sec. This feat to do took me only 3 months and Ganesan did not do any full time training.  This feat  enabled him to come out of Army by they getting time-off to run after 3pm. Ganesan also was playing hockey for SAFSA. It was a bonanza for him as he was talented in both sports, unlike many of us. However, he told me that he wanted to focus solely on running.

As I left for my study trip to England, I told him on the ways to train for stamina and told him not to neglect this component. I also taught him stretching exercises which would prevent all forms of injury. Finally, I left for England. I realised that I had to be responsible for myself. By releasing N. Ganesan, Elangovan, Harpreet Singh, Li Tienyi and Johnson Ng, I felt a kind of freedom which actually allowed me to have more time for my own running.

In England, I usually get excited in receiving my former athletes' letter and I realised that they were improving. Before going for my studies, I took a 10 day off from  Loughborough University as I had to represent Singapore in the 2nd Asian Men's Marathon Championships in Bandung, Indonesia. The race had some sections of upslopes and downslopes. I came in with a time of 2hrs 34min. The champion was from Eduardo from Indonesian. The impressive Indonesian defeated all the top Japanese marathon and Korean runners in the race.

Over time, in England, I settled down to do my studies. While I was doing my assignment on Mamimum Oxygen Uptake (VO2 max), I started some form of running by assessing the academic pressure of the University life. While training with a low volume, I decided to run only with my friends and not with the Loughborough University Athletics team. I used to run for a few kilometres and then join in the runs with my friends Raihan and Thomas Tan. Sometimes, I even run with Arul, my hostel friend. I started running in the cross-country races in the League One Birmingham Cross-Country League. Overall, I ran in three English Cross-Country races in England.

I used to correspond to my former athletes by writing letters. My other runners from Dunearn Secondary School sometimes wrote to me. Usually, the letters come from Xu Pei Hua and Mei Zan, the former top two female runners of the school. I still have communication even until now the female runners. Only Xu Pei Hua runs now but it is for fitness and not serious. There was once a letter which came to me and in this letter N. Ganesan wrote to me that he finally did 2hrs 46min for the marathon. It was verified in the newspaper too.

I felt happy with this because not only was Ganesan on his way to do 15min 31sec in 10 months, after doing 15min 41min, but also he was able to do the marathon. As a coach that was a mommoth task for me. From the day Ganesan was able to run the marathon, I did not hear of him stopping during any race by his friend who used to laugh at him for this action. I realised that he was also mentally strong then.

Over time, in the Inter-Varsity Track and Field Race, in 1992/3 Ganesan did a time of 15min 06sec for the race by becoming the champion. Till now, there is no one who has broken this record that he had set. Over time, Ganesan finally managed to do 14min 57sec for the 5000m race. As soon as he broke the record, he told me that he incorporated one of my workout into the training program before breaking the record in Germany. He also did a personal best of 3min 58sec for the 1500m on the track during the period. Before doing this timing, I do remember coming to Singapore to push him to do 4min 06sec for the 1500m, in 1993. Earlier on, he was stuck with 4min 09sec. He was very depressed with this. I came forward to expedite his progress before going back to England for my second year studies.

Over time, Ganesan sustained an injury called the heel spur, bone jutting out of the heel bone. It is a bone growth at the heel area such that it causes pain whenever the heel strikes the ground, the area with the extra bone will have pain, sometimes it can be severe. The pain can become unbearable . Later on, he went for an operation. It was alright at first but later on the pain came back. Finally, he was seen keeping himself fit as a Physical Education teacher. He also just got married after years of running and being as a teacher.

In summary, N. Ganesan's feat is given below.


Distances and Personal Best Timing that N. Ganesan had achieved.
1500m - 3min 58sec
4.8km - 14min 46sec (1991, National School Cross Country Championships)
5km - 15m 06sec (IVP Record, 1993)
5km - 14m 57sec (Germany, National Record - 5000m - broke Jagtar's Singh's record)
Marathon - 2hrs 46min (Not his important race, but a personal best)

 

Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.