Sunday, July 11, 2010

Marathon Runners That I Coached/Assisted - (Part 4) . Ernest Wong - 2hr 37min.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Ernest Wong - Potential of Breaking the National Record for the Marathon.

Picture One - The MR25 Club members - Standing at the extreme right (Donald Ng) and 5th from right (Ernest Wong). Seated, third from right (Khoo Chin Poo)


In the Sheares Bridge Army Half- Marathon 2002, I narrated on how I met Donald Ng and Ernest Wong. It was in the year 2002, directly after the Army Half-Marathon, during the Annual meeting of the MR25 Club members, I met them. Since Donald Ng entrusted on me to coach Ernest Wong to do a sub 2hrs 40mins for the marathon, I decided to tell Donald that Ernest can join me in the three times per week training.

Picture 2- Donald Ng (Current 6 Division Trainer and the mentor of Ernest Wong)  Still running actively at the age of 50plus


Later on, Khoo Chin Poo, another marathoner, who had a personal best of 2hr 34min came to see me and told me that he would like to join us in the training for fun. I told him that he can join us once a week for the workouts. Khoo told me that his time has gone down to 3hrs flat because of not training much. He was very happy to join us.

During that period, an ITE athlete by the name of Alson Foo came to join me in running. I had to help my friend Ravi, the then HOD of ITE Bishan. Even Donald joined us in the group. Therefore, there were altogether five of us doing training. However, two days per week, I used to join these runners for my own fitness. Once a week, I used to train with them during a workout session. That's all for my training. The only focus I had was to keep myself fit. That's was the goal, not winning. Beyond the three times per week, I did not run. The rest of them did their long runs, on the days they don't train with me.

Ernest trained with me and did the training word for word. He followed the training religiously. As I was not interested in coaching, I consulted Steven Quek to ask whether he can help them. Ernest and Khoo Chin Poo were forthcoming with this idea. To this, Steven told me that his hands were tight. However, Steven told me that he can help me to train me as I was his friend. I told Steven that these people need help and not me. I also told that my competitive days were over. I told him that I was keeping myself fit. Still, Steven rejected the idea. However, Steven was telling me that he can come once a week to help out. At first, he did help us time but over time he had to look after the school athletes and subsequently was not able to help.

Hence, things were left to me and I found that these people are coming at the wrong time. I did not have any zest and enthusiasm at that time. Usually, I am full of zest and enthusiasm throughout my life. In my life, 2003 was considered the worst year of my life. Usually, I have been jovial throughout my life. I am known to joke easily and am relaxed, even during very stressful situations. Actually, I needed a break from running. Since Donald asked me to help Ernest, very reluctantly I came forward to assist. I realised that I had to run in order to push Ernest and Khoo Chin Poo.

The year 2003 was also a memorable year as I got to know Khoo Chin Poo, Ernest Wong and Donald Ng better. I was able to smile better because of them. We used to joke and run for fun. Over time, Ernest and Khoo Chin Poo were improving a lot. They were also ready to do very tough strengthening exercises and I gave them once a week. In fact, I found out that Donald and Ernest liked the strengthening exercises a lot. They expressed to me that they felt that they got stronger because of that.

During the year 2003, we realised that Khoo Chin Poo had the best times for the workouts. Ernest was the second-best. Donald and I used to push them. However, we were always far behind. Later, we took part in the Singapore Open Track and Field Championships 2003. Bakthier and I ran for Swift Club and Ernest and Khoo Chin Poo ran for MR25 Club. Bakthier was the national school cross-country champion in the A Division with a time of 15m 05sec for the 4.8km Macritchie Reservoir course. In the race, Steve Brace of Great Britain was also running. Steve Brace was one of the top Marathon ever in Britain. As he was older, he ran the race and came in first with a sub 16min 05sec for the 5km race.

During the run, Khoo Chin Poo and Ernest were doing well at first until I found them getting tired later on. After some time, I started to overtake them and proceeded to Bakthier and ran neck to neck with him. At the last 200m stretch, I started winding up the race and ended up coming in as the first local runner.


After a period of time, Ernest ran the workouts with fantastic times. I was telling myself that this guy was capable of breaking the national record for the marathon. His timing of the workouts were all wonderful. The only problem Ernest always faced was rest. Because of this, he was not able to train well. I told myself that doing a sub 2hr and 40min was going to take place anytime. In the Singapore Marathon 2003, Ernest got dehydrated and had cramps. He did a time of 3hrs. I told him that he was about to do a sub 2hr 40min anytime and I told him to mark my words.

Donald and Ernest started to train together and followed my strength training religiously. I wanted a break from assisting Ernest. In February 2004, I chanced to see Ernest running on the television. He was running live in the Hong Kong Marathon 2004. In the race, I saw Ernest doing a time of 2hrs 37min. This was a piece of happy news for me and Donald. After the race, Ernest started to tone down on training.

If you ask me on those potential to do sub 2hrs 24mins, I would say that Ernest Wong is one such person who is capable of breaking it. Right now, Ernest is still running for his army unit, 6 Division. As an athlete, he was following the training given without complaint. I used to admire his courage and determination to finish up the tough training given. He is very strong up in the mind. He is one of those who came with me for the Sendai Marathon in Japan, where we had to run part of the distance which covered the marathon distance using 5 athletes.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.