Sunday, July 4, 2010

Paul Thompson - The Ever Running Paul Thompson

 Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Paul Thompson - Running Strong in the 40s

The Man Who Stayed And Competed In Singapore For 6 Years

Picture 1 - Rated 2nd in US and UK in 2010 RANKING for 40-44 years of the age group for the half-marathon (2010 New York City Half-Marathon 1hr 09min 09sec.)


When I (Rameshon) retired from serious running at the age of 29, most of the time, Yvonne Danson, the National Record holder for Singapore in marathon, with a time of 2hrs 32min, kept encouraging me to come back to competitive running again. That did not work at all as, in fact, I took a lot of time to think before giving up running competitively. I was more into coaching. However, within myself, I could only commit myself to semi-serious running only 3 months of the year to keep myself fit. I did this until I reach 40 years of age. I wanted to run competitively again in the veteran men section and see for myself how fast I can run. At present, my challenge is in the Men Veteran section. Running in the Men Open section is now not my focus anymore. It is left to our young Singaporeans to do it. Also, I realise that by being competitive, I tend to be more conscious of diet, exercise and fitness. However, my competitiveness is not like how it was in the past.

In the late 1990s, I once saw the MR 25 people doing their bi-monthly time-trials for 5km in MacRitchie. I saw Yvonne Danson there. She told me that Paul Thompson is a good runner. It is only after the run that I realised that Paul was, in fact, a fast runner. I also found that he did not have any contenders to fight. I was thinking that what a time to retire. When I wanted a challenge, there was no challenge. Now that I have retired, suddenly there is somebody who could have spurred me to improve upon my timing for my races. Anyway, I thought it was too late as I had already made up my mind on this. I was really enjoying the luxury of leisure time. Anyway, leisure time was spent mostly on coaching.

While that was going on, Paul took part in many races in Singapore and did very well to the point that he started to go to Malaysia to run. He did very well there as well. My communication with him came, when Paul, in a friendly manner, came to me one day, after a competition and talked to me about ageing and being competitive. He was telling me about whether it is possible to run and do well at the 40s. We shared our ideas on this.

It was in 2003 that Paul showed his invincibility in the Army Half-Marathon by doing a 68min 39sec. That run that he ran was very inspirational. He just spoke to me about ageing and running slow. There at the race, he did an impressive performance that I will always remember. I know that I will rebound back after the 40s. I came in champion in the Standard Chartered Marathon 2008, in the Men Open Local Section, doing a time of 2hrs 49min. In 2009, I was, in fact, getting much faster than the year 2008 running performance. However, I got injured because of not much time to train around that period. My focus was on school work.

I believe, even after the year 2003, Paul, with his resilience, was able to do a 2hrs 29min 56sec. This was his dream come true. Finally, he was able to do the sub-2hrs 30min that he was aiming for. My hope in writing this post is to encourage those above 40s to learn from Paul on getting motivated to run, regardless of the age we are in. I believe Paul's philosophy on running will be very helpful to many, young and old. 

Over time, I have seen his wife Shamala during races. They are working in US together. Sometimes, I have seen the two of them coming together for the Singapore races. Today, I realised that Paul is still able to continue his Sunday's 22miles. I feel that Paul is still in good form to run. He has discussed with me that in time to come when he comes to Singapore for holidays, we can run together when that time comes. I am very eager to run and train with him for that short stint.

Picture 2 - Paul Thompson after a race supported by his wife Shamala


As such, with the introduction of Paul, I would like to present the interview questions coupled with his knowledgeable answers for the benefit of the readers of this post.

Interview Questions

Picture 3 - Paul Thompson - 68min 39sec in the Army Half-Marathon 2003. Receiving a prize from Singapore President S. R. Nathan.


What was your age when you did the marathon time of 2hrs 29min 56sec?
I ran 2hr 29min 56sec at age 40 and 4 months. It was the London Marathon in 2006. It was my debut. For most of my running career, I had no interest in running the marathon but as I closed in on age 40, I set myself the goal of a top 3 place for the over 40 age group and a sub-2:30. I finished 4th master/veteran but had 4 seconds to spare at the finish. I went through halfway mark in 72min 04sec. It was very fast as I tried to chase the leading masters' runners. With 100m to go, in full sight of the finish, Buckingham Palace, 20,000 spectators and the BBC TV cameras, I collapsed to the floor: I got up slowly and walked before breaking into a jog to get over the line.

Picture 4 - Paul Thompson (In Action During a Competition)


What is your PB for 800m, 1500m, 1600m, 2.4km, 3km, 5km, 10km and half - marathon?
Track Race Timings Done in My Late Teens
800m - 2min 03sec,
1500m - 4min 15sec,
1600m - 4min 35sec,
2.4km - never done it,
3000m- 8min 45sec

All These Race Timings Were Done After My Teenage Age Years
5000m   - 14min 48sec
10000m - 30min 22sec
Singapore's Army Half Marathon 2003     - 68min 39sec 
New York City Half Marathon (Mar 2010)  - 69min 09sec  

http://www.nyrr.org/resources/photos/2010/nychalf/local/gallery.asp#4

What is your personal best for Army Half - Marathon, done in Singapore? Which year was it?
See above. 68:39 in 2003. I came 2nd to a Kenyan elite runner by the name of Joel.

Which race is your best event and you are interested in it?
It used to be cross country (I've run for the North of England and won national team medals running for the county of Yorkshire, UK. Unfortunately, there are little real cross-country races here in New York so I now focus on the half-marathon races. My best race, age-adjusted, was the New York City Half Marathon in March this year when I ran 69:09. It's hard to beat a run that takes place in Central Park and a traffic-free Times Square.

Where and at which year was this feat done?
See above

Where are you staying now? In which country are you staying?
My wife Shamala, a Singaporean, and I moved to New York in 2004. We first lived in Brooklyn and then relocated to a small town that is a 60-minute train ride into Grand Central Terminal. We both work in Midtown Manhattan - Sham next to the iconic UN building while I'm on 5th Avenue one of the world's premier shopping streets.

Which country do you find very conducive for training?
A tough question. What I can say is that despite really enjoying the running scene in Singapore and Malaysia these countries are certainly not the best place for running for one simple reason - it's too hot and humid. The human body is simply not equipped to run fast in 90F and 90% humidity: 50-60F and low humidity are optimal. The US has much to offer and is hard to beat - from the cityscapes of New York City to the Colorado Rockies. But the US suffers from a lack of public footpaths - the UK has plenty of these.

How do you find staying, training and competing in Singapore in the past?
My wife is from Singapore so there is no surprise in finding what I really enjoy in Singapore. I ran for MR25 for 6 years and it was a great club - a perfect mix of local and foreign, young and old, male and female. When I first arrived in Singapore, my very first task was to join the MR 25: it was like an instant family. The racing scene was fun too - a mix of road races, long and short, cross-country, tri-terrain etc.

Picture 5 - The Family of MR 25 Club Members

Can you elaborate that one toughest race that you have ever encountered in your life? Can you give a 100 to 200wds answer for this question?
My first marathon - London 2006 - was my hardest race by some margin. That day I realized that you have to respect the distance and to anyone who can stay on their feet for 26.2 miles. As I have said earlier on, I went out too fast, passing the halfway mark, just past Tower Bridge in 72:04, I felt relaxed and strong and was barely 50m behind the top masters' runner. By 20 miles, it was game over: I had no 'gas in the tank'. It was a simple case of survival. I survived - but not before collapsing in sight of the finish line on The Mall. I ran 2:29:56 for 4th vet/master and 72nd overall (from 36,000).

How many marathons have you done?
Three. London Marathon 2006, London Marathon 2007, and Boston Marathon 2008. Each time I thought I'd learnt from the previous ones and came back stronger - but each time I just got slower!

What is your future goal, if you have any, on running?
I have a number of goals. First, to enjoy it and to run until I can run no more. Wherever I travel I get out for a run. I can't understand why people run on treadmills: we were meant to run outdoors, preferably off-road, whatever the weather. Second, as I age to slow down as slowly as I can! Third, to run for my country, England, as a vet/master. The latter will prove hard while I live overseas and get no opportunities to prove myself against British athletes.

How was your performance in the recent race?
My very last race was the New York Road Runners Prostate Cancer 5 Miler. I ran 25:57, my slowest 5 miler for many years and my first defeat in the Tri-State area (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) by another vet/master since May 2008.

What advice would you give to a person who would like to run competitively after 40 years of age?
First, find a way of enjoying it. If you do not enjoy the experience don't bother. Second, be realistic. After our early 30s, our muscles weaken and lose their flexibility. So don't expect to run as well as when younger. Third, do not train as intensely: you'll get injured. Finally, savour that moment when you beat young bucks. I get a real kick when I can beat 25-year-olds who are running to impress the spectators.

What is your advice to those who want to take up running for health and fitness, regardless of their age?
I love running. It helps define who I am, has enabled me to befriend the best people I could ever hope to meet, and I can not imagine life without it. But it does not have to be all-consuming. The most important thing is to enjoy it. Find like-minded types to share it with. And whenever you travel take your shoes: you'll see and experience things non-runners never will.

The author would like to wish Paul Thompson all the best in the coming races.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.