Thursday, July 8, 2010

Marathon Runners That I Coached - (Part 3) - Ng Soo Hong 2hr 44mins.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Ng Soo Hong - The Best Training Partner Ever



When I was training middle and long-distance events in Clementi Town Secondary School, I came into contact with my friend by the name of Ong May Yan, a teacher from Teck Whye Secondary School. She knew that I was training hard and competing and at the same time I was able to bring Clementi Town Secondary School to second position in one of the year between 1990 and 1991 in the National School Cross-Country Championships. While I was coaching, Ong May Yan gave me two of her school athletes by the name of Ng Soo Seng and Harpreet Singh (4.8km - 14min 47sec). Ng Soo Seng, over time, did a time of 18min 30sec in the National Track and Field Championships 5000m. He was overjoyed with this time as it was his personal best. Both the teacher-in-charge and I were very happy.

One of the reasons why I was doing well in running between 1990 and 1992 is because of Ng Soo Seng. I enjoyed my training with him a lot. In 1992-1994, I had to leave for my further studies. Soo Seng's interest was diminishing at the same time as we were not able to run together.

When I came back from overseas, I realised that Soo Seng was very interested in motorbikes and not running. It was all because of his friends' influence. From a small bike, he was looking to buy a 1000cc bike. He finally got the Class 2A bike which made him go faster in the wheels, except for the legs.


Nevertheless, he introduced me to his brother Ng Soo Hong. The brother was slightly taller than Ng Soo Seng. Soo Hong kept training with me first in MacRitchie Reservoir. Over time, Soo Hong showed me a lot of route in Singapore. One of the reasons why I know more running routes in Singapore is because of Soo Hong.



Soo Hong and I nearly ran every day together. I used to travel to his house in Bukit Timah to run with him. Soo Hong was always punctual in his training and he was appreciative in training. All the workouts, Soo Hong did with all his mind, heart and soul. He was only 19 years old. He was faster in speed and he had a fast 1500m time. 

In my workouts, the only problem he usually faced was to go fast at the start and slow towards the end of the run. I used to give a pep talk to run in an efficient manner, by slowing down the first part of the run. I tried many times and this did not work. Anyway, I decided to save my breath as he still kept running fast in the first part of the race. However, over time, he was able to come back a bit faster than before.

Our long runs were going very well that I recommended him to run the Gold Coast Marathon in Australia in 1995. To this, he was forthcoming and registered for the race. Before the race, I used to give him breathing exercises which will last 30-45mins four times per week. This was done after a run. I wanted him to do well in running. Hence, I made him do the breathing exercises with me. He was religious in doing the breathing technique exercises.


After some time, I suggested him to register for the Gold Coast Marathon 1995, just before my SEA Games in December. His race was somewhere in July. In the race, Soo Hong did a wonderful time of 2hrs 44min. The then MR25 President by the name of Terence was very happy with the performance and he reimbursed back the money that Soo Hong had to use for the flight to Australia, Gold Coast. This made Soo Hong be a force to be reckoned with.

After a period of time, Soo Hong trained intensively in the 2.4km NAFA ENCOUNTER 2.4KM RACE. In the race, I did 7min 02sec while Soo Hong did 7min 21sec. I was impressed with his time and congratulated him for the feat. I also felt that once the distance became shorter Soo Hong can be stronger than his longer distance event. That was in December. While I ran in the SEA Games, Soo Hong ran in the Singapore Marathon. The weather was too hot that he did 3hr 00min. I knew that the humidity of Singapore was not good and the weather probably had killed him.


On the other hand, in Chiang Mai, I did 2hr 24min 22sec and did a big personal best. I retired straightaway as my funds were running out at 29 years of age. To improve more than this, I realised that the support from associations was vitally important. At the time when I retired, Soo Hong also retired as he knew that I am no more serious. I felt that at a young age of 19 years, Soo Hong could do a time which is difficult for many at his age to do, even me. My personal best at that age was only 3hrs 20min for the marathon.


Anyway, Soo Hong was seen running for his Army Unit 2 PDF, a few years later, which is also my army unit when I was a reservist soldier. We do not talk to each other now as to how we talked in the past. Nevertheless, Soo Hong can be said to be the best partner for training for me. My personal best has to be attributed to him and his brother Ng Soo Seng.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.