Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yoga for Runners - The Essential Three Yoga postures to master

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


The essential three postures - To increase one's energy                                                                       

Experiences of Yoga and Running

Firstly, my humble respect to the great Swami Sivanada of Rishikesh (India), who taught me about the essence of yoga and that made me do wonders in my marathon performance and helped me in avoiding sickness and diseases. Many injuries were treated and avoided throughout my training for running career.

One of the eight forms of wealth is health. Many of us in the pursuit of wealth have forgotten that without health the mere fact of having wealth is of no value.

As a keen enthusiast in running, I first come into contact of yoga through Swami Sivananda through books which had illustrations of the postures (asanas). Certain asanas will prevent not only injuries but also diseases like cancer etc. These stretches will also ensure that your body is supple throughout life.

In scientific term, when we are young child, the ratio of organic to inorganic bone is 1:1. The organic bones makes the bones flexible. The inorganic bones make the bone inflexible. This will happen when we grow older. When we are old, the organic to inorganic bone is 1:7.

There are more that 100 000 poses that we can learn and do. These poses are meant to make the body symmetrical, lean and healthy. Every poses has its health benefits. Out of these poses, as a cross country, middle and long distance runner and a marathon runner, and as an health enthusiast, I like doing the Headstand (Sirshashana Salamba), Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana) and the Plough Stand.

Head Stand
Although, as an athlete, I used to do least of this, the headstand is well known as the king of yoga. Headstand will make your spine straight. It will enable the bones, especially the joints to be aligned. Youngsters can grow taller from doing head stand. One can improve memory through this posture. Blood supply will go to the face. Face will improve in complexion. Natural pranayama (breathing of 12 breath per min will start to take place if one does this). I observe that my breathing slows down when I do this posture. There are numerous advantages in doing this exercise which I will enumerate later on.

Shoulder stand (Queen of Yoga) will make one dynamic. Recovery will take place at a faster rate. Hence, this can reduce stress and improve one from getting injured. One can avoid injury through this posture. One will feel very active throughout the day through this exercise. I used to teach this exercise to Harpreet Singh (4.8km 14min 47sec, 1992), N. Ganesan (current nat record holder 5000m - 14min 47sec) and G. Elangovan.I used to do this exercises during my very intensive training days of the past where I trained 3 times per day between the year 1990 and 1992. I realised that usually I don't feel any form of tiredness. A kind of strength increased in me.

Finally, the plough stand allows one to have a good lower back. This pose gives excellent stretch to the spine and the shoulders, It helps in the working of the liver, gall bladder and kidneys. This pose is excellent for digestion. It stretch the neck muscles. This exercise is good for relieving tension and stress which results from bad sitting posture.

These three are awesome exercises that it is good for the growing adolescence, young adult and the stressful adult. Life becomes a playground instead the so called constant warfare throughout the day.