Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Coach Alan Guilder and Sir George Gandy and Professor Clyde Williams

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Alan Guilder - My Coach (July 1993- Sept 1993)                                                                                

My humblest respect to my coach Alan Guilder who gave me the final touch to do the 2hrs 24min 22sec, after doing four sub 2hrs 30mins for my marathons. Although, as a coach, Alan trained me for just 2 months, I consider him as one of the greatest coach I have ever come across. He always will be remembered for giving me the boost in running.

1992- 1994  Running Days in England

After taking part in the 3rd Asian marathon Championships 1992 with a time of 2hrs 34min in Indonesia, I came back to Singapore and left to start my studies in the famous Loughbrough University of Technology, England. Loughbrough University was known as the Mecca of long distance in England. I was able to meet Puala Radcliff (World marathon record holder for the women's marathon) there and Jack Buckner (5km - 13 min 10sec for the World Cup in the 90s). At first, I was doing my own run. It was because of the cold stress that I nearly gave up running seriously in England. My friend by the name of Arul, who is now a PE teacher of SJI, spurred me on and told me to get very good gloves and get on with running seriously. I had severe headaches when I ran in the cold in between 5 and 10 degree celsius. My hands became very stiff. It was very difficult to run.

Arul, even decided to run with me to accompany me in running and complained that he could not run because of no interested running partners. I went to Leicester to get the gloves, a chunky one, those used for skiing. I got an adidas head gear as well. I started off running everyday. Hence, on some days, my friend Thomas Tan, now a lecturer in the Ngee Ann Poly, and my friend Raihan, used to run around the campus. I used to do a 10km first before joining them for a 5km run.

Few weeks later, I realised that in one of my run, I saw many runners running very fast on Tuesdays. I started to join them in their run but not join them and mingle after the run. Over time, I realised that it would be a good idea to go into the room and venture what the athletes are doing. Upon entering the room the athletes were seen minding their own business stretching and chatting with each other. I was a total stranger in the room and soon after realised that the room was non other than Loughbrough Athletics Club room where athletes congregate before and after the run.

At first, I was joining on Tuesdays. My first run with the athletes was an 8km run. I realised that many were running very fast and I was always left behind. Slowly, I met a runner by the name of Tim Dickinson who was talking to me in a pleasant manner. Tim introduced me to Alan Guilder, a 28 year old runner at that time. the year was 1992. Alan was a lean person and I thought he was not a fast runner. Later on, Tim told me that Alan was his coach and has done a 5km in a time of 13min 32sec and 10km time of about 28min 42 sec. Once I saw Jack Bugner (5km - 13m 10sec) chatting with Alan while we were running in the campus. I felt like being on top of the world because I was running with them as well. It was a runner's dream.

Earlier on, during my first year stay in England, I did not take Alan Guilder as coach. I took him as a training partner for nearly a year. I also used to run with a lady called by the name of Sonia Mc George (1500m - 4 min 05sec 1991, who in one of the Grand Prix Series) came in first. With this lady, I found my 40 min morning very tough because always she ran fast. Her husband's name was Chris Mc George, the one who became one of the challenger to Sebastion in one of the Olympic trial, long time back. Chris used to join me once in a while for morning run with his wife and Alan. Usually he talked to me throughout the run. I felt humbled when he told about his time sub 3 min 40sec for 1500m. Earlier on, I thought that Chris was just keeping himself fit, that's all.

As a runner in Singapore, between the years 1990 and 1992. I was never defeated in any race from 5km onwards to the marathon for 3 solid years. The nearest to come close to me was M. Maran in the 5km race where I won him by few seconds, doing 15 min 55sec. Later on, intending to go for a higher challenge, I even entered the 1500m race. In one of the All Comers' Meet I did 4 min 11sec, losing to Saravanan, who is still the record holder in the under 19 year category of 1500m (3 min 59sec). In that race (1990), Saravanan did 3 min 59sec. In another race with him on the track, I did 4 min 14sec, defeating two of the Asean boys runners who were medalist in 800m and 1500m, Nesamani and Victor, respectively. It was a big boost for me at that time. Before the race, I was asked by Nesamani whether I am running the 1500m race. I told him that I was running. From the start till the end, to my surprise, I did not see him in front of me. It was a disappointment as I wanted to run a sub 4 min but my hopes were dashed. Also, there weren't many races and there were only two races of All Comers' Meet at that time.

Anyway, after having won many races in Singapore, I starting representing my university for League One cross country races in England. To my shock, in the first race, I came in 65 position. I was very depressed with this performance. It made me to feel like giving up running altogether. I felt that I was never defeated like this before in my life as a prepared runner. Later on, I realised that Gary Lough, who also ran in the race, was about 46 position in the cross country race. I found out that he was able to  3min 42sec for 1500m.  Over time, he even defeated Steve Cram, once a world record holder after Sebastian Coe. This made me to cheer up and feel better about my performance. In the second cross-country, my result improved and in the third race of the year, I came in 45 position and improved my performance tremendously. It was after that performance that I did 31 min 46sec for the road race in England with a month or two later. My  friend Tim did 30 min 30sec under Alan Guilder's coaching. His performance was awe-inspiring. He also came in as 4th best Junior runner in England Cross country race in 1991.

Then came one day where I found that Tim and Alan Guilder did a 15.2km in 48 min plus in one of the steady run. This awesome performance in running made my jaw to drop. After a year of running with Alan, I gradually build my trust in him and asked whether he can be my coach. I was elated when Alan accepted. I found Alan a very disciplined person who had a lot of very good values and ethics.

Alan Guilder was also a church goer and always actively participate in church activities. He runs on saturday, doing hard sessions and then throughout the day he will go to church and do services as well. He is an inspirational figure to me because of his discipline. He is married, having 2 children, who are by now adults. He had a supportive wife who allows him to train very hard.

It was in 1991 that I decided to come back to England from my holidays in Singapore. My thoughts were all on staying and training in England. My friends, Shue Pei Yan and Razali gave me free accommodation for 2 months. Before coming back to England, during the Univ holidays, I did about two time trials in Singapore and did about 9 min 30s for the 3km, because of long rest after exams in the univ, while Elangovan and Nigel Foo were doing around 9 min flat around there at that time.

Once in England, Alan trained with me and he was deciding to go for the Robin Hood marathon, a very hilly tough course. I told Alan that I was preparing for the Belgium Half marathon after my consultation with my club people. Along the way, my plans changed as I was not able to get my confirmation as to whether I am able to go or not. Suddenly, I chanced and saw a magazine. I decided to sign up for the Berlin marathon. I finally got a confirmation to go for the Berlin Marathon Sept 1993. Earlier I had to send a cheque of $1000 for the race and accommodation while in England. Over time, the SAAA told me that I can go for the Belgium World Half marathon 1993. I told them about my payment and told them that it was too late. They told me to get reimbursement when I come back Singapore.

A week into training, I did 34 min 55sec for the 10km race after my return to England. About three weeks into training , I did a 3km in a time of 9 min 10sec. I felt that I improved a lot through Alan Guilder. Alan was told by me that since he is preparing for the marathon. This was a boost for me.

We were training very hard during training. I was enjoying the training and always come on time to his house in the morning to train. He even complemented one day, after two months, to me that I was always punctual during training. I was happy that this feedback came from him. I felt that the reason for punctuality is because I was very serious about training and I treated him with reverence and followed the training program like the holy gospel.

At one point Alan, with humility, started asking me on how to go about in the diet plan a week before his Robin Hood marathon. Since I knew the two methods of carbo-loading from Helen Gilbey and have the experience, I told him to choose one. Then, over time, on one of the day, I was even surprised that he was asking me on weather he should take orange, during the first 3 days of the 7 days carbo-loading. That incident showed that he is a person who is ever willing to learn.

I was very interested in his workout. On one of the time trial, he brought me along the 8km route where he and I did 25 min 05sec and 25 min 25sec respectively. He told me that Jack Bugner has done 23 min 30sec approximately for the route that we just ran at that time.

The training under him was very tough. Over time, Alan made me a faster runner day by day. He always ran alongside me. I learnt a lot from his interesting workouts. His workout consisted of long easy runs, moderate runs, steady runs, interval runs and fartlek. He was genius in blending everything. It was a common sense approach to training. Physiologically, I found that all his training was correct. What was more important for me was, I kept improving tremendously and I finally did the Berlin in a time of 2 hrs 28 min. Alan Guilder, on the other hand, did the Robin Hood marathon with a time of 2 hrs 21 min. A year back, Alan came in top 20 in the same London Marathon that I had participated with a time of 2 hrs 23 min. This made me to take him as a coach after the earlier guidance over a year period by Sir George Gandy who I am going to talk about.


Sir George Gandy - Britain's prolific Top Middle and Long Distance Coach
                               (University of Loughborough Athletics Coach)

It was John Sproule, a Scottish Lecturer, who was teaching me at the then College of Physical Education, who told me to go to England to train under George Gandy to attain excellence in running. At that time, George was not ordained the Sir title given by the queen of England for his sevices to England in Athletics. I took the advice of John and after 3 years of teaching and coaching in Clementi Sec School, I headed to England leaving Harpreet, N. Ganesan and G. Elangovan to my friend Eric Song.

It was also a boost for me to go to England as my good friends, Benjamin Kwok and Justin Fernandez followed suit to join me in the academic pursuit.

When I was in England, I came in contact with George Gandy as he was my teacher for Pole Vaulting. He taught the group of Loughbrough Univ students on how to jump in Pole Vaulting. I had to jump over using the Pole Vault. He even thought us steeplechase over the hurdle, hurdling and hammer throwing. I also learnt about middle distance running of the world class athletes from George. He made us discuss on various training methods of long distance runners. He even taught me on how to develop speed endurance. Later on, for more professionalism in teaching track and field events, George even went an extra mile by bringing in world class coaches like John Thrower for throwing events. These coaches have developed medal winners for Olympics. It was a solid experience. The coaches were not arrogant and were very humble and taught us using commonsense approach.

As an athletics lecturer, George Gandy was involved in studies related to altitude training. I read his articles and learnt how to go about in training for altitude. I read about 62 articles on altitude training and understood how Ma Junren and Norman Poole and other coaches were able to apply altitude training methods to improve athletes in running.

One of Gordon Reid's friend, the then Univ athletics captain, who was my research partner who did a different research using the same subjects, was lucky enough to go for Altitude training with George Gandy.

After doing a 31 min 46 sec in 10km road run, I was invited to run for the Univ Students Games, which I had been long waited for. In order to qualify for the University Students Games, I had to do a sub 10km in 32 min. Finally, I did it. My friend, Tim also qualified with his 30 min 30 sec in the Loughborough Echo running performance. Two of us were the only ones in the Univ to qualify for the 10km race. Later on, I had to cancel it as the race fell on the Exam day itself. It was very depressing to cancel something which I was long longing for.

Before running under Alan as a coach, I had an opportunity to see George and get his advice where he told me to change my program. He told me that I won't go where I want things to head. Quickly, I had to adjust the program to his advice. During the London Marathon, I finally did 2 hrs 29 min, breaking the 2 hrs 30 min barrier that I have long been waiting to break, thus becoming the first Singaporean to do a sub 2 hr 30 min.

My appreciation and gratitude will always go to George Gandy. Later on, over a period of time George was given the title of Sir by the Queen of England and is known currently as Sir George Gandy. Sir George Gandy will always live in my heart as the person to enable me to go under 2 hr 30 min.

Professor Clyde Williams

Clyde Williams taught Physiology in famous Loughbrough University of Technology. I have never met him, even though I was studying in the university. However, I have heard a lot about this gentleman. After reading some materials in the library books in the university on Physiology, I suddenly caught a glimpse of a book called Biochemistry. There was hesitation for me to read this book because I was afraid of the scientific vocabulary in the book. It was on science applied on running and on sports itself. Clyde William featured some of the articles which seemed interesting. I kept reading and was motivated to read more. Also, at the time, in year 2 of my university day, I had to read articles on Clyde Williams because of his research on 30km runs and on 5km and 10km runs. My research was on 1500m. I will elaborate about this in another page of my blog. The run test was done for 5km and 10km and the timing obtained by the subject shows good correlation to VO2max. I was able to use his article for my research and also from my research was able to come out with a y = mx + c equation to find the VO2 max. I found that from my research, the 1500m test tend to show more correlation to predict VO2max as compared to 5km and 10km, even though the predictability is very good.

I learned a lot from Clyde Williams articles and realised that all his articles were very interesting to read and I understood physiology through his research. His contribution to my coaching knowledge was good and this helped me to plan well for periodisation for runners when I came back to Singapore. Many of my friends who were taught under him,  including Benjamin Kwok and Thomas Tan found his lectures very interesting.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.