Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ryan Fong Does 9min 10sec for 2.4km Army NAPFA Test

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


Ryan Fong - Has Passion in running from the day I saw him.

Ryan Fong came to see me improve his running time, 6 months ago. Right from the beginning, I started to focus my attention on his running form. The good thing was that he is an ardent learner. His aim was to get a gold award, by doing at least a 9min 14sec for his 2.4km test. The week before last week, he did 9min 16sec and phoned me to tell me about his new personal best time. He was 2sec away from the gold and he told me that he has another 1 week left for the second 2.4km test, the final one to decide whether he will be able to get gold or not.

I wished him all the best two weeks ago. After the test, I was pleased to hear that he has got the gold finally, with a new personal best time of 9min 10sec. I told myself that this would be good for people to read and be inspired as he was able to achieve this in such a short - term, with iron determination, even though he was nursing an injury and training at the same time for the past 3 months. He was able to adapt his training such that he has come out of injury except for a minor plantar fasciitis strain. Let us hear his answer from the interview questions that I have posed to him.

Picture 1 - Ryan Fong was introduced as an athlete who has done 9min 10sec, thereby getting a special gold for this.


What was your time in the past for 2.4km?

It was 9min 55sec


When did you do it?

It was in June of last year. 


When did you start training with  Team Flexifitness?

Around December 1st week. 


How many months did you train with us?

It was for 3 months.


For the next 3months what happened?.

I had shin splints.


What were the factors that may have caused this?

I think that it is hill training. My tendon was injured. 


How has Flexifitness training helped in your 2.4km quest?

Yes, definitely. I was able to improve my form. By improving my form, I was better able to maximize my potential in running. The improvement in my hand and leg technique had given me confidence. I knew that running form will help in running economy and that I could use the oxygen to running rather than for unnecessary movement of the body as mentioned in Dr Ben Tan's book.


What is the award that you got?

If we do 9min 45sec, we get normal gold for 2.4km. This is inclusive of the NAPFA test award.


I wanted to get 9min 10sec which is a commando/guards grade. The grade was more for combat kind of vocation. I am very happy with this. 


What is your next gold?

8min 30sec, before I come out of National Service. 


What is your vocation?

I am a Commando officer.


When are you finishing your National Service?

In about 5 months.


What is your very long term goal?

Triathlon, ironman. 

 www.runningcoachsg.com If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.