Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gold Coast Marathon Preparation 2013 (Part 10)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Injury - Dread of any runner.

When you get an injury, studies have shown that a runner will experience depression. Last week, while my training was going very well, I got injured while playing soccer. This was the second time I am getting an injury while playing soccer. Last 2 months back, it was at my groin area. I felt the pull and that took me out of action of running for 2 days. However, I recovered from it quickly. I believe that the stretching that I was doing was helping me.

The recent injury was caused when I kicked the ball and my right leg went out of alignment. I felt a pull just like how I felt in the past when I got a hamstring pull.

Somehow, I was able to do some form of training which totals up to 50km for my mileage. The injury is getting better now and my wife has asked me why on earth I had to play soccer when the Gold Coast Marathon is just nearby.

I told that the group I played are not aggressive enough to get an injury. In my heart, hence, I told myself that I am not going to play until the Gold Coast Marathon is over.

After a week's rest, I am feeling good finally. I am able to run but I cannot run fast for steady runs. I am thinking of preventing my injury.

I have a month left for Gold Coast Marathon. After running that I am thinking of running in the Standard Chartered Marathon 2013.

Today, I did cardio work that involved some running as well for 3hr 36min. I am happy to have done this today.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.