Friday, June 14, 2013

Ashley Liew - Has been consistently training despite just finishing his Final Exams

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)
Ashley Liew - Aiming for sub-2hr 30min in Gold Coast Marathon 2013 since he missed it in 2012.

I did a mileage of 60km for this week as a preparation for Gold Coast Marathon. Today, I decided to do a long run, after my hip flexor strain had gone down in sensation. I ran 16km in the morning in Macritchie Reservoir and ran in the afternoon for about 14km. 
When I came back home, I realised that Ashley had just answered the questions that I had given him on his recent 8km race. I told him to finish his exams first, which he did. He is in good physical condition. However, anything can happen in a marathon after the 30-32km mark. I hope that positive things happen and everything works out well. As far as I am concerned, as a coach, Ashley is in shape to do a sub-2hr 30min. This is what I think. Minimum, I hope that he does a 2hr 34min 39min, at least.

I hope that many would go to the Gold Coast marathon and aim for a better time! I hope that the training is going very well for many. I hope to join you, people, there and run. Today's run has made me confident about finishing the marathon in at least 3hr 20min.

An Interview With Ashley Liew
What was the name of the race?
- Sunrise 8km at Simpsonville, South Carolina
Any reason for running this race?
- To race against a high-quality field of runners whom I knew would push me hard. 

What distance did you run and how was the terrain?
- It was 8km long. It was quite a nice terrain that involved running through a lot of neighbourhoods. It did have a couple of gentle slopes but has the potential for fast times if weather conditions permit.

What was your time and position in the race?
- Age-group champion, overall 11th. Official time 27m30s.

What was your strategy in the race?
- Start off at a steady yet manageable pace, and then strive to hit a personal 8km best. The air was quite heavy with humidity (a different kind from Singapore!), but that was not going to stop any of the front runners from going all-out. Several of them went out very hard and I knew they were capable of sub-26min (or even faster) times, so I stuck to a more manageable pace together with other runners. With a few hundred metres left I pushed hard like there was no tomorrow and finished strong.

How is your preparation for the Gold Coast Marathon 2013 race?
- It has been going well. I do miss the workouts together with the Flexifitness team under Coach Rameshon but have been making the most out of my time in South Carolina training-wise. 

You have about a month left to the race, how do you feel?
- Firstly, I am relieved that my exams for this quarter are now over because that has occupied me much of the last week. More importantly, right now, I really look forward to the Gold Coast.

Your goal time for the race, any range?
- Sub-2h 30min.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.