Monday, April 25, 2011

Sportsmanship During 3000m C Div Boys Race

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Tineshwaran - Displaying Sportsmanship During The Race

Tineshwaran's 3km winning time - 10min 12sec.

Today, while watching the C Division race being run, I saw that sportsmanship was brought out by this boy when he saw his opponent falling down on the floor. The running crowd was running in front while Tinesh from Bendemeer Secondary School was running backwards and lost about 15metres at the 700m mark. It was such that his father had to shout out very loud to make him come back and race. In fact, Tinesh mind was not in the race after the fall for the next 4mins. Tinesh felt very tired after the running backwards such that the father complained that Tinesh was very tired because of this action. "Tinesh, focus on your race, " came the answer from his father. From then on Tinesh kept his focus and recovered from being tired during the run for the final 300m where at the end he outsprinted Shohib (10min 13sec) from RI to win the 3000m race in 10min 12sec.


I was thinking of interviewing both father and the son for the team bonding to win the 3000m race. Mr Krishna and Tinesh worked as a team.

An Interview With Krishna, father of Tineshwaran

What was Tinesh chance of winning today?
I felt that the chance was 60/40 to win. 60% there was a chance of winning.

What made to come down today for this race?
To give my son full support.

Did your support make any difference?
I believe so, mentally, I guess. Physically, I don't think that my son has a problem.

How do you see your son during the early part of the race?
Not confident, the competition was tough during the first few rounds.

How do you find when the RI boy Imran dropped accidentally?
My attention was to make Tinesh focus on the race.

When he was running behind to help Imran to stand up?
I became more nervous. I was wondering whether he comes in first or not after that?

Later on, how did the race go?
He was following the directions that I was giving.

When he won, how did you feel on his winning?
I jumped for joy. It was delightful to see him come in first. I felt as though I won the race. It was like a miracle had happened. I felt like jumping up and down in joy.

An Interview With Tineshwaran

Today did you feel that you can come first?
Did not think I will come first.

What made you come in first?
My father's encouragement and friend Ivan's positive words.

When Imran dropped, what was your first action?
I felt like helping him. Actually, I wanted Imran to do well also. I felt bad that this has to happen to him. Finally, he came in 6th and it could have affected him. When my father shouted to focus on my race, I decided to concentrate on the race. 

At the last 300m, what was your strategy?
Shohip started to break away, I felt like staying with him. At the last 250 metres, I felt that I could go. Shohip gave a fight at the 150m. I could feel to go in front. and eventually went for it. and won the race.

How do you feel after winning the race?
I was very happy that I had won. It was like a miracle that had taken place.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.