Thursday, September 30, 2010

Subhas Nair - SINDA Excellence Award (Basketball) Recipient (Part 1)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Subhas Nair - SINDA Excellence Award Recipient (Basketball Player who wants to excel in the 2.4km run time and in the process excel in his game)

Picture 1 - Subhas Nair became the poster boy during the Youth Olympic Games 2010 (Singapore)



I saw Subhas Nair, from Hwa Chong Institution (College), during the SINDA Excellence Award ceremony. As a very good basketball player of our school, he was able to contribute to the school to become champions in the National Schools' Basketball Competition in the A Division Finals for the year 2009 and year 2010.

As a college year one student, I saw him as an inquisitive person, asking me on how to improve one's endurance and also on how to reduce weight. At that time, he was 93kg. For my eyes, I found him heavy. I shared my experience on I brought my weight down from 73kg to 55kg between the year 2005 and 2006. He was very keen on reducing his weight and, over time, in year 2 he brought his weight down substantially to 77kg.

This needs tremendous effort. I was very surprised over his reduction in weight and admired his courage, willpower and determination. On top of that, he showed his humility whenever he talked to me. I realised that we have a guy who will do anything to excel in sports and life itself.

During PE, on one of the day, doing the Beep Test, to test for maximum oxygen uptake of a person, it was found that he had one of the highest scores, maybe even the highest endurance score in Hwa Chong Institution (College) itself. The only person who can challenge him in this is Oon Shui Kun, a Hwa Chong Institution (College) canoeist who contributed to the school's gold in the National Schools' Canoe Finals. Oon Shui Kun was also able to do 3 months of once a week running training with the cross-country team while doing his school's canoe training on other days, and emerge individual third in the National Schools' Track and Field Meet in the 5000m race. It was an incredible feat indeed.

Picture 2 - Oon Shui Kun, with 3 months, running training once a week, was able to come in 3rd in the 5000m race in the National Schools' Track and Field Championships 2010. He is just as talented as Jeevanesh, another SINDA Excellence Award 2010 recipient.



Coming back to the story on Subhas, I realised that Subhas has a personal best of 8min 25sec for 2.4km. Hence, I decided to interview him as he was also one of the recipients of the SINDA Excellence Award. On top of that, besides basketball, he has a passion over time to improve his 1mile time. Hence he is a person who wants to be physically prepared in order to have an edge in the game. He told me that there are two basketball players in the world who can do 1mile run in sub-4min. When I heard this, I told him that the name of the game is running is speed endurance.

Having said that, I would like to publish part 1 and part 2 post on him. Part 1 tells about his goals, aims and objectives in life in order to motivate others to achieve this as well. Part 2 will reveal on he reduced his weight over time and how he succeeded this.

An Interview with Subash Nair

Picture  3 - Subhas Nair holding a pair of Nike basketball shoes.


Can you tell me your personal best time for the 2.4km run?
My personal best for the 2.4km run is 8 minutes and 25 seconds. When I first entered the school two years back, I was clocking around 9:45 for my 2.4km run, but a better overall fitness and training saw me drastically improve my timing, and one day I hope to run at least under 7min 45sec, and subsequently beat that timing as I believe that there should be no ceiling to any athlete's potential.

How did you get yourself interested in Basketball?
Honestly, I got interested in basketball from a young age, like many others, while watching old Jordan reruns. I was so motivated by the man that I grew up thinking," I want to be Like Mike." Also, every day I would hit the nearby basketball court and emulate his signature moves and imagine myself in the NBA.


This was when I was in primary school, however, I never actually tried out for the school basketball team until I reached high school, where the high school coach surprisingly saw something in me and gave me the chance to be a part of the team. I was one of the last few players selected to be given a spot on the roster and I told myself that the following year that I want to be the first player named in the team of twelve. This really got me very motivated and inspired and made me a "Student of the Game" as every day I religiously watched my idols in the NBA and tried to add something to my own game and improve myself, and true enough the very next year I was named Captain of the team and the first team member selected.


My interest for the game has only grown stronger since then as basketball to me, is one of the few team sports which requires true overall athleticism matched with a varied skill set and the right character, and, as they say, "Basketball does not build character, it reveals it." Furthermore, this never ending pursuit of perfection is what keeps me interested and very much in love with the game of basketball.

Do you find that improvement in your running helping your sport?
Yes, very much so. My improvement in my running time has most definitely improved my game as it has made me a better overall athlete and now, I do not tire nearly as often and I can very easily last the entire game of 40 minutes, playing at my highest level. Also my speed and stamina have improved and my recent Beep Test results have also improved to 16.1.  

But the most interesting thing about running which has really helped my sport and indeed my character is how self fulfilling running actually is, and how running has helped to hone my competitive spirit.

I feel that whenever I run, I have to beat the man in front of me, and if I am leading the race, I have to still out-lap the last man and out-lap everyone else, as no matter what, someone is always still ahead of me. This is very relevant in sports and also in the real world as someone,as life to me, is a marathon and someone, somewhere around the world will always be better than me. I always feel that if i rest, I rust and that when I am not focused in my training, someone else out there is, and just like when I run, I have to stay humble and hungry in order to beat the next man, and the man in front of him, and so on... Therefore, running has really helped my attitude and focus in basketball and is a very important part of my training.

Do you intend to improve on your running time in order to improve your sport?
Yes, I intend to use my running time as a gauge of my physical conditioning. As I mentioned above, my target is to hit around 7 and a half minutes in my 2.4km run and one day I want to run a 4 minute mile, which I believe is the epitome of physical fitness.

In order to do this, I will continue with my training and will definitely look for tips and advice on this matter from experts and my peers, as I believe knowledge and accurate information are as important a hard work and attitude in order to maximize my training efficiently and more effectively.

How is your parents support in your sport?
My parents, and family, to me, are everything that I work hard for. I want to repay my parents for all their support and encouragement they have for me through the years. I am where I am today not only because of my own abilities but also due to the inspiration my parents have given me.

Can you tell us your aspiration for the future?
My aspiration for the future is to play professional basketball, perhaps in Europe or in America or even the United Kingdom. I want to play to my fullest potential and at the highest level possible and I truly believe that I can make the leap into becoming a truly elite and standout professional one day. However, this is definitely going to take a lot of hard work, sacrifice and dedication, but with the support of my family and the people around me, I believe I will succeed. Pain is temporary, Victory is forever.

Picture 4 - Subhas with the Hwa Chong Institution (College) Team. In the year 2009 and 2010, the Hwa Chong A Division team won the boys and girls championships.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.