Saturday, September 18, 2010

Singapore Open: RENE HERRERA THE SEA GOLD MEDALIST (FOUR TIMES)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

SAA 72ND Singapore Open 2010

Picture 1 - Left to Right - Rameshon, Rene Harrera (2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009 SEA Gold Medalist),  Thangavelu 1993 SEA Games gold medalist for 3000m steeplechase.


Today, I reached Gombak Stadium at about 4:30pm. While I was coming to the stadium, I met Mr Kunalan, our 100m silver medalist in the Asian Games. After chatting with him, I went down to see the Hwa Chong students, Yong Liang and Si Heng. In the first time ever running the 800m race, Yong Liang did 2m 31sec. Not bad for a start, I was thinking. Si Heng did a time of 4min 32sec. I find that with the Hwa Chong athletes are studying very hard for their exams and the volume in training is low now. However, I felt that this was good exposure for these boys.

Then, I met up with Thangavelu, a former gold medalist for 3000m in the steeplechase in the SEA Games. While we were chatting, we watched the 3000m steeplechase race. In the race, Rene Harerra of Philippines was running a solo race, leaving everyone behind, coming in 1st with a respectable time of 9min 12.92sec. He won the gold medal for the Singapore Open. His run was creditable indeed.

Hence, I thought and decided to do an interview with him and he was kind enough to accept this.

Can you give me the SEA games that you won four gold medals?
2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009

Can you give me the personal best for 1500m, 3000m steeplechase, 5km, 10km and half - marathon and the marathon?
1500m - 3min 50sec
3000m steeplechase - 8min 49sec
5000m - 14min 51sec
10000m - 30min 52sec
1/2 mara - 1hr 05min 59sec
marathon - 2hr 32min

When did you do the personal best of 8min 49sec?
It was done in Thailand Open in the year 2004.


Can you tell your best performance in any highest level meet that you have participated in?
It was in the 2006 Asian Games at Calcatta where I came in 6th position doing a time of 9min 05sec.

What is your coach's name?
His name is Mario Castro.

What is your wife and son name?
My wife's name is Cheryl Donguines and son's name is Ken Ryzen.

What is your job in the Philippines ?
I am a full-time athlete. Our government support our passion.

How do the government support you?
I have been given boarding facilities by the Sports Commission of the Philippines. We are given healthy food to consume plus other supporting services by the government. We are even given a monthly allowance for the training that we are doing. We are well taken care of. When we win races like the SEA Games, we are given US 7000 as a reward.

How was the weather today?
It was very hot. I missed my target of doing 8min 55sec.

Were you able to pace your self well?
No, since the water-jump was outside the 8th lane, I was not able to know the split timing for each kilometre.

What was your strategy today?
My strategy was to maintain the pace throughout the race and get faster towards the end of the race. As I got no one to challenge, it was a solo race. Therefore, I decided to lead on my own.

How is your training like?
Once a week, I do technique training for the steeplechase event. All other days, I go for mileage runs and on some days, I do speed and strength training.

How is your wife's support for your training? Do you face any problem in this?
My wife is very supportive of my passion. Before marriage and after marriage, I realised that my training has never been affected in any way.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.