Sunday, August 25, 2013

My CSC Run 2013 - 5km in 20min 30sec

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

CSC Run 2013 - Getting back on track for Stanchart Marathon 2013. 

Picture 1 - Ganesh (left), the liaison officer of MOE, Rameshon (centre) and Raymond Lee (right)




Today, I woke up at 5 45am and drove all the way from my place to Marina South. After that, I parked the car, about 400m away from the race. 


Before the race, I did some loosening up exercises and went towards the start point at 8 30pm. I was to run for men senior race for the Ministry of Education. 

At 8 30pm, I started off and decided to do a 4min per km pace all the way. That was my only plan. I saw my former student Augustine Tan and wished him all the best. Later on, I heard that Augustine came in 3rd for the men open section of the 5km race.

When we started running, after the start of the race, it was okay at first in terms of crowding. After some time, somehow, the route was crowded and packed and I was blocked by the runners who were coming back from their 10/15km race. My race was 5km. 

At each kilometres marking, I was going steady and started to go for it towards the last 1km mark. At the last 1km, I started to overtake a number of runners as I realised that finishing was coming and I was just hoping for a sub-21min. The official time which was later given as 20min 30sec. I was second Singaporean to Koo Seow Wee who did 18min 03sec. There were 5 Gurkhas in front of me. I was feeling happy as my conditioning phase is coming back, after my Gold Coast marathon run of 3hr 55min finish. I was also surprised that I was able to give a sprint finish towards the last portion of the 5km race.

I will be running in the POSB Run soon. This is giving me a lot of confidence. I am aiming to do a time of sub-45min for the race. On 21st Sept, I will be taking part in the Olive Run 2013. I hope to do a sub- 18 or sub 19min run for the day. 

This is to gear me for the upcoming race - Stanchart Marathon 2013. I saw Zhi Yong, Ministry Of Education runner who also ran the race today, who was the first runner to Ashley Liew, the champion, in the Stanchart Marathon 2012. I asked him personally whether he will be running and he confirmed his participation.

Our team came in 2nd today to the Gurkha runners from Ministry of Education, in the Men Senior section. In the Men Open section, Ministry of Education came in 4th. 

I went back home after knowing the result.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.