Monday, August 26, 2013

Ministry of Education - Excellent Performance in Civil Service Race 2013

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Ministry of Education - Performs louder than the noise

Picture 1 - Team from The Ministry of Education


I remember, after parking my car, finding for the start point for the Civil Service Race. In the past, there were not many people taking part. This year, it was held in a grand way. 

When I was at the 5km start, there were many people in front of me and I was actually 20mins early for the start. I appreciated the crowd when they gave some leeway for me to go to the front of the pack. Ku Seow Wee, last year's Olive Run winner asked me to come to the front. I told him, through gestures, that I am comfortable by being about 15metres from the start. 

However, just before the start, something told me to move to the front more and the crowd relented without being displeased. It was a good gesture by our fellow Singaporean athletes. 

Then, the DJ told us to do some form of exercises just before the run. It was important for the runners to do but since I have done my stretches earlier, I was just focused on my own race. 

The DJ then told us to make some noise. Many made noise. When it was the turn of the Ministry of Education to make some noise just before the race, the athletes, including me were quiet and only some made noise. I believe that we were harnessing our energy for the race.

When the race started, I saw many Ministry of Education runners up in front running very well. I decided to pace myself well and decided to do between 20min and 22min. After the race, the official time came out as 20min 30sec. I was very pleased to see this. 

I realised that in the men open team race we were 4th. First, second and third position for the team went to the Ministry of Home Affairs. Many of the MHA runners were Gurkhas. In the men senior race, the one I ran, we came in second. 

Better still, in the women open and women senior team race, we came as in champions. We felt proud to be in the Ministry of Education team. Ganesh, our coordinator was interviewed by the organisers on the achievement. He was very happy to give his comments. I decided to put up the photo for our memorable performance.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.