Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lin Run'er - Hoping to do a sub-3hr 33min at Gold Coast Marathon 2012

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Lin Run 'er - Gold Coast Marathon 2012 is where Run'er is setting her sights on.

I met Lin Run'er when I was teaching at Hwa Chong Institution (College), a few years back, around 2006. Later on, both of us left Hwa Chong. Apparently, Lin Run'er went to RJC to teach. 

I have written about Run'er in the past. Recently, Run'er is one of those who have done well in the Standard Chartered Marathon 2011. She is hoping to do a sub-3hr 33min for the coming Gold Coast Marathon 2012. 

Recently, I have seen her running and sometimes doing interval sessions at the CCAB track. I decided to give her an interview so that others are motivated by her in terms of trying to achieve a personal best time. She is really working hard to achieve a good time for the marathon. 

An Interview With Lin Run 'er

Picture 1 - On the extreme right of the photo is Lin Run'er




How was your preparation for this race?
I ran almost every day, with 6 sessions of 30-35k long runs before the marathon. My training was not really structured, I just ran as I felt like it, and I ended up doing easy runs 90% of the time. For my next race, I'm intending to do more tempo runs during training.

How do you find the marathon route this year?

The route is exactly the same as last year so I kinda knew what to expect, but what I didn't expect was the massive overcrowding in the last few kms where runners of all categories merged. Also, there was a stretch at ECP which was pitch black, I had to tread gingerly for fear of stepping and tripping on something. Later on, I heard from my friend that one of the gel stations was stationed along that ECP stretch and that perhaps is why we didn't see it. The route was okay, in fact, I loved running down orchard road under the Christmas lightings, but I felt that organisation could be improved to ensure a smoother run for the masses like us. The congestion problem has been around since 2008 and it has continued since then despite feedback every year. I remember running the marathon in 2007 and there wasn't such a problem because the route back to Padang for different categories was different.

What was your target for this year?

I wanted to do much better than last year (3:37) but didn't have a specific target. I felt that I was in shape to run at least 3:30.

Are you happy with your time?

I enjoyed the run a lot, probably because I increased my mileage this year so I didn't have to struggle at all. But I'm not really satisfied with my time (3:33:52), will aim to do better next time.

Are you happy with your position?

Yes, I'm very happy! I never aim for specific positions because I know I'm not 'elite' enough to run tactical races, so getting prizes is always a huge bonus for me. My mum was also very happy and she's gone around telling our relatives about it.

How was the weather?

I felt the weather was great by Singapore standards, cloudy and not too hot.

How was the crowd support?

The crowd support was excellent in the final 500metres, but before that, there were very few supporters along the route.

How was the distance markers, did it help you in your race?

I didn't see many of the distance markers in the first half, maybe because it was too dark in the morning, though I distinctly remember seeing distance markers for every km last year. I looked through the route and I roughly remembered the landmarks so I didn't really rely on the markers.

What is your next goal?

For now, I hope to acquire some speed for shorter distances, something I'm sorely lacking. And I'm planning to go for the Gold Coast Marathon in July.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.