Saturday, October 20, 2018

Vincent Caldeira’s Half – Marathon Experience in CSC RUN 2018

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Tan Mariviv

runningcoachsg: Vincent Caldeira's Half – Marathon Experience in ...

Picture 1 – Vincent (left), Mariviv (right) and I were super relaxed before the start of the race
Vincent Caldeira just joined in our programme recently. He trains hard with determination. For 400m x 20 repeats, from a time of 1min 45min, per round, with a min rest, he improved his time to  1min 30sec per round. Recently, he did 400m time trial in 1min 04sec and his 800m is now 2min 29sec and the progress is on the uptrend since he joined us in the running programme.
As he was doing some distance runs recently, Coach Rameshon told him that although his stamina is not enough, the former has very good fitness and mindset as well. Hence, he was invited to do the first Half-Marathon in CSC Run, after 5 years. Vincent did 1hr 49min just now in the evening today, and he was happy with the time, as he found the weather was very hot today and he was pleased with the thought of just finishing and for his category, as he came in 19th position in veteran men between the age 40 to 49. After seeing his result, Vincent has started looking forward to another race to run in the future and he is yearning to train hard to do a 1hr 30min soon for planned half-marathon, using Flexifitness training method.
Since it is a new personal best time for him, I have interviewed Vincent of his run today, and he has agreed to answer all the questions.

An Interview With Vincent Caldeira
How do you find the organisation of the race?
The race was well organised. The route was pretty good and easy to run. I think the biggest was the starting time at 5.15pm. It was a bit difficult for me for the first 45-50mins to get into the right pace due to the heat. I was aiming for sub-1hr 40min and then I realised in the first 1hr that I had to reduce the pace accordingly so that I can at least finish the race.
Are you happy with your timing and position?
I am not necessarily happy with the timing but I am happy that I finished the race, especially after really thinking of stopping the whole race around kilometre 5. I then told myself that even though I won’t be able to get the time that I wanted, there is value in pushing through, trying to keep a consistent pace and finishing the race, in terms of working on my mental toughness. For a race in this heat, it is probably the best time at the moment with the training I have.
How were the water points?
The water points were pretty efficient, water points every 2.5km, always quite well stocked, so I was able to get water and isotonic easily so I think that was pretty good.
What is the good thing about this race?
The good thing about this race is at the end, you can use your race number to type into the computer system and straight away get your gun time and net time which is pretty useful.
What is your opinion on other organisers following such method in checking the results immediately after the race?
The system is definitely good, as after crossing the finish line, you can straight away go to the station and type your number, and within 3 seconds, you get a slip with your time. Nobody is there telling you wrong time or position, so I think it is pretty good.
Is it worth it to run the race today?
Well, let’s say the race happens again next year, and it starts at 5pm, I probably will not do it. But if they move the starting time, maybe at 7pm, then I may consider running.
How do you find the marshallers?
For me, I do not have any issues, for a few of the parts, the route was a bit open and there is public and you are not too sure, there were actually people waving to guide the way. Overall, it was fine.
What is your future race or target?
I am still going to try to achieve 1hr 30min-1hr 35min for 21.1km by the end of the year. I did 1hr 35min before in my 30s with a mileage of 70-80km per week. If I can get a better timing at my age, which is now, and with consistent training, I believe it will be a good outcome for me.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.