Friday, November 29, 2013

Stanchart Marathon 2013 - Final Strategy for the race - Do my best in all circumstances.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Doing 100% - It is the only thing that will make me happy.

In all races, I have learnt that the most important thing to do is to do one's best. I tell myself that if I do not do well in a race and I have already put in my 100%, I will be the happiest man. Every time when I do this, I usually end up doing well. This is a phenomenon for me.

In Gold Coast Marathon 2013, July, I wanted to stop at 32km mark. It was the same mark that affected Flexifitness athlete by the name of Lim Thow Wee, 2hr 53min 01sec runner. I hit the 35km mark in 5min 00sec per km on average, after not running any marathon since 2008 Stanchart Marathon. 

I was happy with the time at the 32km mark, but I could feel that I have already hit the wall. I started slowing down a lot to the point I had to stop and was facing glycogen depletion in my leg muscles. A number of times I stopped.

It was at this point that I was having the contentment of doing 5min 00sec per km on average, I was pondering on stopping as I was hitting the wall. It was at this point that I told myself that I have not run any marathon since 2008. It was an opportunity created for me to finish the race and I did not want to let down myself. 

Automatically, my mind told me to not bother about anyone beside me but to complete the race and get the finisher t-shirt to show myself that I can cross the marathon endpoint, after having a long - term injury which lasted 3 years. 

It was this injury that is helping me to get many of my athletes and friends to be injury-free. From October 2011 till now, I am now without any form of serious injury. Special thanks should go to God. 

Third Strategy - I will do this if I don't feel fresh just before the start of the race. 

Having said that, I would now discuss the third strategy that I might take in this Stanchart Marathon. If I do not feel good just before the race. I will stick to a pace of 4min 30sec per km pace for the first 10km and then do 4min 20sec per km pace for the next 10km. At the 20 to 30km mark, I will do about 4min 10sec. After the 30km mark, if I feel better, I will be aiming to do 4min to 4min 10sec per km pace for the rest of the marathon distance. 

Hence, my strategies really depend on my feeling on that day. Surely, I will ensure that I will be at the start point at least 1 1/2 hour to do all the toilet business, warm-up etc. 

Today's sleep is very important

That is why, in order to stay fresh before the race, for Friday and Saturday, I have decided to rest totally and not do any form of running. A one day's rest is not enough for me, I guess.

Now that I have discussed the three strategies, it is highly likely that I am going to choose one of them for sure. I hope that you have yours also. 

Last year, while I was warming up with Ashley Liew, the defending champion for Stanchart Marathon 2012, who will not be running in this year's Stanchart Marathon due to his commitment in running SEA Games in Myanmar in mid-December, people thought I am really running the Stanchart 2012. I did not run as I wanted to take care of Ashley all the way. As for this year, I have finally decided to take part as I am hoping to progress my time from 3hr 55min in Gold Coast Marathon 2013 to sub-3hr 32min for the Stanchart marathon 2013.  

I just hope that I don't fall sick. I also wish that many out there get good sleep today, as today's sleep is very important than tomorrow's sleep. Sleep well until you feel very fresh tomorrow. 

Tomorrow onwards, it is a good idea to hydrate well before this Sunday's race. My hope on that day is for you to go for a steady-state and to do a good time. Wishing all Standard Chartered Marathon 2013 participants all the best in the race. Just remember not to miss any of the hydrating points along the way during the race. This is my two cents worth of advice to all participants.



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.