Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tea With Moses Ng,47, at Nature Vegetarian - A discussion on his 3hr 17min 02sec feat.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Tea With Moses Ng - Moses recounted on his run in KL marathon 2103.

Picture 1 - Nature Vegetarian Catering Pte Ltd

As Ashley and I were able to go to Gold Coast Airport Marathon 2013 for our race, Moses brought his time for 10km time trial from 44min to 41min. 

He was not able to run the KL marathon a few months back as it got postponed. He was in KL to hear this.

On Sept 29th Moses Ng, 47, ran in the KL marathon finally. He did a time of 3hr 17min 02sec.

He decided to give me a treat today at Nature Vegetarian Catering Pte Ltd. He knew that I am a vegetarian and he decided to have the treat in the shop of my choice. I felt that I should be the one giving him the treat. He told me that he was very happy with the time and he felt appreciative and out of gratitude, he wanted me to join him for a tea. 

I interjected that it was nice of him to give me a treat, but I felt why is he giving me when I should be the one giving. He told me that as of 5th position in Men's Veteran, he got US $200. I told him that I got $400 for coming first in MOE Olive 5km run in the Men's Veteran's category. 

He was insistent such that I had to cave in to his demand. Inside me, I told myself that I have to respect his decision and that I am honoured to have a meal with him. 

He recounted that in the past he had done a 3hr 18min and he has been trying to come back to this time and he was not able to. He was happy that he was able to now. I told him that he should have come to me a long time ago. Nevertheless, I felt that it is better late than never for Moses. 

In the long run, I told him that he should be able to run a sub-3hr. He was pleased to hear this. 

Moses, later told me in detail when I asked on the hamstring pull that occurred all of a sudden during the run, somewhere towards the half-way mark of the race. He told me that just before the 20th km mark, he suddenly got a pull from the hamstring and he had to rest and find out on the reason for this incident. He then decided to run and then got another pull at the same area of the hamstring. 

In total, I asked him how many minutes he lost from there. He told me that in total he believed that he lost about 8min. I told him that he could have done a sub 3hr 10min and he told me that he believed so as he had to run on the non-affected leg, putting more emphasis on the leg and to put less burden on the affected leg. 

Overall, he really wanted to pull out and he was happy that he was able to run in the race and pull through. He told that Team Flexifitness training did really help in the last 10km where he felt strong and went for it. 

He also told me that fortunately, he did not wear any watch which would have deterred him from running the race as he would have panicked seeing the time racing as he had to just wait at the side with the injury. This strategy worked and he was very happy. 

I told him that with his 40min plus 10km time trial timing, he can do this much and I suggested to him to do his best to get the time faster. He told me that he is looking forward to this. 

After our meal, Moses discussed on Mizuno Wave 10km run, which is about two weeks from now. We told ourselves that we are looking forward to this. We are running in the men veteran's race. 

Then, we left the place in a happy mood. 

 https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.