Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Waiting - Not an option for those who want to improve

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Waiting - For elite athletes, waiting is a waste of time.

To manifest a good time for running, it is very important not to waste time. This was told by Mr Lim Jit Imm, former Singapore Athletics Association Vice President, while I was on my way to take part in a 10km race for the Asian Track and Field Championships in Kuala Lumpur, somewhere in the early 1990s, Mr Lim told me that he does not believe in trial and error method. 

He wanted the athletes to quickly evolve in running and run faster and get a much faster time. He also wanted good coaching. 

Anyway, his dreams were dashed when he finally wanted to step down as a Vice President of the then Singapore Amateur Athletics Assn. He wanted me to name him some potential people who can be good coaches and help them to come into the sport and he left the sport. 

Right now, I realise the importance of what he meant. 

Why having a coach is important?
This is an important question. In my life, I was also going through a trial and error method in running training and I was actually wasting my time in running, finding things from the book, although it was benefiting somehow. I was able to do a sub 33min 4 times in Singapore. However, it was only when I got to know Sir George Gandy, our Loughborough University coach in the past and my personal coach. Alan Guilder, that I got to know exactly how to train. In a very short time, I did the 10km in a time of 31min 46sec. 

Before doing the 2hr 24min 22sec in Chiengmai SEA Games marathon 1995, I was able to do a 7min 02sec for 2.4km and do 32min 22sec in the 10km race held in Singapore that year. I also learnt the art of not to race too much. I also know that there is a formula to run faster with least effort. Just by training hard, it also did not mean to me that I am going to run faster. In the past, I used to work very hard to improve from 32min 52sec to 32min 42sec for 10km, which took me three years to attain. When the right methods were used, I was able to attain 31min 46sec in a span of 7 months, which made me qualify for the inter - University Track and Field Games in England. Although I met the qualifying mark for the 10km race, I had to reject the entry to the race as it was during my exam time. I also had to reject running in the 1993 SEA Games at that time due to exams. Both races were clashing with my exams. 

Having said that, my observation is that we should realise that there is a formula for doing well in running and top runners use it and do well in running. They can materialise their hopes and dream at a much faster rate because of this. Many people can take advantage of this formula and benefit most in their progress in running. As a coach having the knowledge of Sports Science to better understand the working of a structured training programme is also an added advantage for the coach. 

For me, the blessing in life came when coaches like George Gandy and Alan Guilder came to improve me in running. The added blessing came when I did sports science research on 1500m and Heart Rate response which made me understand running better. I was able to win 12 titles in National Inter-Schools' Cross- Country Championships in my life. Thanks to George Gandy and Alan Guilder. Thanks should also go to the lecturers who taught the knowledge of Sports Science. 



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.