Sunday, May 27, 2012

Flexifitness Athlete Tarandeep Does 1:51:45 in Sundown

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

Written By Marcel Sng 
 
A Filipino by the name of Mary Joy Tabal, 22, came first in Women Open 21km race in 1hr 25min 28sec. Briton Susan Arbuthnott, 38,  won the Women's 42km with a time of 3hr 23min 2.08sec. In the 10km for Women Anne Qihui, 31, won the race in  38min 8.89sec.
 
Filipino and the coach of Mary Joy Tabal, John Philip Duenas, 25, won the Men's 21km race with a time of 1hr 14min 28sec. Singaporean Alex Ong, 25, running in the marathon for the second year, won the Men's 42km in 3hr 03min 33sec.


Flexifitness Produces Excellent Results in Sundown Marathon and Bintan Triathlon.

Picture 1 - Believes that she needs more experience in half-marathon and marathon races.


Flexifitness was happy to hear that a number of runners from it has done exceptionally well recently. On top of it is Ashley Liew, who has posted this years' one of the fastest, if not fastest, time in half-marathon, marathon and Ironman race (Texas) by a Singaporean. It was a triple feat by him. It is good to have Ashley as a buddy. I hope that I can improve my personal best time of 8min 22sec for 2.4km in future. I feel that he is a role model for me to follow. I realise that he is careful on diet and trains very hard with iron determination.

In Bintan, Malaysia, Flexifitness athlete, Brendan Lee, took part in Bintan Triathlon and came in 2nd in the men open category, held yesterday. 

Darren Toh, who just started training with us did 39min 36sec for the 10km race, his personal best time. Darren had recently done a sub - 8min for the 2.4km with us. I believe that this is a good race for Darren. 

Today, in Sundown half -marathon four of Flexifitness women runners did sub -2hr 40min. Two did sub- 2hr 55min. They are power-puff girls of Flexifitness, I guess. I will discuss one of them by the name of Tarandeep Kaur as she posted the fastest time. 

Earlier on, Tarandeep did 1hr 53min in Hong Kong half - marathon on 05 Feb 2012 and the time was her personal best time. Subsequently, she did 1hr 19min for 2XU 15km run, last month. Today, in the Sundown half-marathon race for women, Tarandeep Kaur came in 19th overall for women open with a huge personal best time of 1hr 51min. What was more important was that her own sister who took up running recently, by the name of Tripta Kaur, completed her run for the first time doing 2hr 33min. Both daughters' mother, Laakhvinder  Kaur, was elated that her daughters have completed the race. Lakhvinder was at the 8/9km mark to support Tarandeep and Tripta Kaur. Hence, for me as a young man, this is a family affair, where other families could follow. It is a family first! Then we think about other things. Having said that, I realised that it would be good to give Tarandeep an interview for her success and I wish continued success in upcoming races. 

Picture 2 - Stopping during RUN 350 did not deter Tarandeep from doing a PB in Sundown (left to right) Galen Ruben, S. Jeevanesh, Tarandeep Kaur, Coach Rameshon and Ashley Liew




An Interview With Tarandeep

What are you preparing for in the long run this year?
I think ultimately I am aiming to do a good time for Stan Chartered Marathon full in December. 

Why did you choose Sundown Half-marathon?
Recently, I had twisted my ankle in the recent 350 Half Marathon race a month ago and wasn't able to complete it so I felt some pressure of making up for it in the Sundown Marathon.I wasn't going to run it initially as I don't like running at night I signed up after my sister convinced me to and I planned to do an easy run with her.
 
How was your preparation for the race?
My preparation for the race was not very good. I didn't do any night runs which made it tough as this started at 1230am - usually I go to bed as early as possible. Also, my ankle had not fully recovered and was sore during my training. It was hurting during race day.

Are you happy with the recent progress with the timing?
To be honest I felt like pulling out after 8km. I was terribly sleepy and just not motivated to compete. My mum cheered me on around the 8-9km mark. This was a big boost as I felt more motivated to finish the race. Also, I'd promised to run for charity with my colleagues so I definitely couldn't pull out. Hence, I think if I had prepared well training at night and had no ankle problems I would have done a really good time, I'm glad I achieved my target of completing the race with a personal best time of 1hr 51min 45sec(chip time).

How was Coach Rameshon's feeling about your performance?
I think he is pleased and thinks its time for me to work on my next phase of training.

How was the weather as a whole?
Very hot and humid - I finished before a huge downpour of rain. 

How was the terrain of the run?
It was relatively flat and we ran on the road and grass. 

Can the organisation of the run be improved?
Never never make us run at 1230 am again and to ensure areas are better lit especially when running on bumpy ground, I was holding back at points as I was afraid of twisting my ankle again.

Any short-term goal race in 2 months time?
I will have to go back to the drawing board with my coach and decide. However, I'm running a 6km Mother-daughter run end of June. This should be fun because it was my mom who introduced me to the sport.  


www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.