Thursday, March 22, 2012

Results of National Schools' Cross-Country Championships 2012

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

Written by Marcel Sng

Nationals School Cross-Country 2012 race

The National Schools Cross-Country was held at Bedok Reservoir this year, like previous years. This time the route changed and we had to familiarize ourselves with the terrain.

I saw the traditional powerhouse schools like Sports School, ACS (Independent), Victoria, RI, Hwa Chong and many other schools warming up. The race time was well spread out. We had ample time to warm-up for the event. Even though I had a lot of time to train this year, I have cut down on my training as I do not want to get an injury when I felt sensations on my leg.

I was warming up for the race and hoped for a reasonable time. At the start, our school was asked to be behind the top 16 schools, which were seeded to be in front based from last year's result. At that point, I wondered we were clearly disadvantaged for the race. When the fog horn sounded off, I ran and the grass was ok to run even though it was a little undulating. Throughout the run, I felt that I wanted to run in a safe manner and reach safely and focus on intensive running after my GCE 'O' Levels. I was blocked throughout the race and I lost a lot of energy negotiating in overtaking runners one by one. It was never-ending and seemed like a losing battle. I was thinking that, per race, if we had 100 runners running at a time would be good. Most other races have the wave system, where people start at different intervals.
 
I was finishing the race, although I don't know exactly, as there were no kilometre markers at all, except the ones marked on the ground for the public in Bedok reservoir. As soon as I approached the final stretch of the race, I saw Victoria School, the only school there, if I am not wrong, lining up the last portion of the race and wondered where is my school to support me in this race.

As soon as I completed the race, I was just happy that I got my drink to hydrate.

Since the place was too compact the prize giving area was small and I could just hear the results and I found that the same schools doing well in the race, namely, Sports School, RV girls, RI, Hwa Chong, ACS(I), Cedar, St Nicks, Victoria etc, I also realized that my friend Jared Hui got second placing, helping Catholic Junior College to 4th position. He used to train with me under Mr Rameshon. He lost to Kartik from Hwa Chong. His position was not good enough to make his school the champions. Aldrich, CJC did not do well as expected although he came in 9th.

The results are found in the link given.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.