Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Flexifitness Coach Donald Ng Wins SAA Veteran 5km run (Sat, 21/01/2012)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Donald Ng - Still going strong

It was a hot day. Donald Ng had a number of people asking him a few weeks/months ago on whether he is injured or not. While recovering, Donald, 52, started training seriously and surprisingly came in first in the SAA annual Cross-Country race. I decided to interview him on his recent achievement.




What were you thinking about before the race?
I told myself to just run the race, not thinking about the result.

How was the weather?
It was a bit hot. Nevertheless, I am used to heat.

What kind of heat acclimatisation training did you do?
Nothing of that sort, but the training I did once in a while of 9am running has helped. I know that in hot weather race, we can win the race by training in the heat, even though the time will not be good.

What do you think about the distance of the race?
I think that it is accurate. It is 4.3km plus 700m, total 5km.

What were you expecting?
Don't know the field, hence I did not expect a top 3. I wished for a sub-21. I did 20min 22sec in the end.

How do you feel about the race?
Very happy

Did you race to be a champion?
No. Only during the prize presentation, I realised that I am the champion.

How was your family's reaction to this?
Unexpected.

Do you have an injury now?
No, and I can run faster now.

Can you tell us on your previous injury?
I had knee pain. It was very tricky and I had to be careful about it.

How was the prize giving?
I was given late. I believe that it could have been given earlier around 11 o'clock. 

What is your next target?
SAA relay 4.3km. 


http://flexifitness.runningcoachsg.com/


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.