Friday, October 29, 2010

Akilan Shanmugaratnam - Sinda Excellence Award 2010 Recipient

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Akilan Shanmugaratnam - Sinda Excellence Award (Gymnastics)

Picture 1- Akilan, on the left-hand side of the photo, raising the leg, is excellent  in endurance, soccer and in gymnastics, his chosen sport


A do not try at home stunt by Akilan in the Hwa Chong Institution (High School) field I witnessed this stunt in front of me.

S. Jeevanesh, the current top middle and long-distance runner of Hwa Chong Institution (College) and his former school mate of Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Sec School, Ruben Galen, were at the SINDA award ceremony on 25/09/2010. After collecting the awards, the two of them had tea together with me. While we three were talking together, we decided to take a photo with Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam (Finance Minister) and Mr Lim Swee Say (Minister in the Prime Minister's Office).

Picture 2 - It was great taking a photograph with Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam, with Ruben Galen on the left flank and S. Jeevanesh on the right flank.


From my experience, Wen Zhe, Lim Swee Say's son, was a very good water polo player who brought a team gold medal for the then former Chinese High School for the under 14 water polo competition. Wen Zhe was also an obedient person who was at the best of behaviour during my teaching in the then The Chinese High School (2000-2005). He contributed to the school's success in water-polo all the way until his days in the college section.

Also, all three sons, Aran, Akilan and Arivan of Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam are excellent sports people. All of them are connected to Hwa Chong Institution. Aran had graduated from Hwa Chong Institution (College) last year in 2009. Akilan is in the final year in Hwa Chong Institution (College) and Arivan is in Hwa Chong Institution (High Sch).

Both Aran (track and field) and Akilan (gymnastics) were the awardees of Sinda Excellence Award 2010, which was held on 25/09/2010, at Nanyang Polytechnic. As I know them, these two were known to be very active people. They were seen in the street soccer court playing when they were having a free period.

Both of them have been known to possess very good endurance and always do very well for the 2.4km NAPFA test. Aran was very good in middle and long-distance running when he was young in secondary one. I invited him to join the cross-country club. However, because of his love for soccer, I decided to recommend him to do long jump and triple jump and at the same time play soccer whenever he has the time. I realised that he was an avid player who was very skilful in soccer.

Later, I met Akilan in the college section of Hwa Chong Institution. During the YOG lighting of the flame, I was able to witness the gymnastics team performing their item. During the Youth Olympic Games, I realised that Akilan was able to exhibit excellence in displaying gymnastic skills.

As I know them from experience, the two sons of Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Aran and Akilan are excellent in their behaviour and are well-liked by other students in the school. On top of that, they are humble about their attainments. As such, I decided to write on Akilan, who is about to do his GCE 'A' Levels examinations. A few months back, I was able to witness his good endurance fitness when I conducted the 2.4km after the 5 items test battery of NAPFA test. Hence with this experience, I decided to do an interview him.

An Interview With Akilan Shanmugaratnam, son of  Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam

Picture 3 - The class of 09A14, with Mr Burge


How do you feel about winning the SINDA Excellence award?
I was definitely surprised since I have not contributed much to the association or community through my sports. Even so, I am very glad for being recognised by SINDA for my personal achievements, because it means that I am not the only one taking pride in them.

Can you give me your personal best for 2.4km?
8min 40sec, though it will surely be a while before I regain that level of fitness.

What sport do you like to play?
I have been a gymnast since I was seven, but I really really enjoy playing football. Um some times I join my friends for beach volleyball but I am not very good

What was your reason for choosing gymnastics as your CCA?
I was selected in primary one by my primary school coach. Since then I have never looked back, and gymnastics demands the highest level of dedication and discipline. Gymnastics attracts me mainly because it gives you control over your entire body and its movements, and also because it involves an aesthetic element.

Can you share with us on the Resilience award that you have received when you were in the High School of Hwa Chong Institution?
I was given the award twice, in 2006 and 2008, even though I was not the athlete with the highest scores or most medals. My coach nominated me for the award because he felt I had a healthy attitude and commitment to the sport, as I had to push myself continually to match my peers who are often much more talented than me.

Picture 4 - Wang Yong Fa, Akilan's Gymnastics current coach


How do you balance studies and sports?
I think the simple key is being mindful of your time. I try not to allow time to pass unnoticed, and this allows me to apply myself productively, and constantly inch towards the goals I want to achieve. Twenty-four hours can be a lot more flexible than many people realise.

In a practical sense, I make sure to work out a schedule with my coach, and I feel it is a basic responsibility to stick to it. Studying can be done in my own time, and I know I am only accountable to myself.

Picture 5 - Akilan (second from left, standing), with the gymnastics team.


What is your goal in life?
I don't really look so far ahead, but I would like to keep exploring new possibilities and experiences and try to know more about the world and people.

What advice would you give to those who want to balance studies and training?
Don't be constrained by what people tell you - take things on your own terms and don't be intimidated by warnings that might discourage you. Because of negative mindsets, most of us never maximise our time and potential.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.