Friday, November 9, 2018

Strength Training – Is a function of Speed

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

What made me do well in long-distance running, in the past, when I started running from secondary three onwards, taking it seriously, initially has to do with stamina training. My teacher told us to do long runs, and I was gladly doing it. 
Over time, I realised that it was easier to get an injury when I do not stretch before and after a run. So, Yoga exercises helped me a lot. I got a book from the former National Stadium, Sports Council library. It taught me how to avoid injury. In another book, some stretches do actually give you not only flexibility but also strength as well. Usually, these books were written by Westerners, not really locals. Yoga exercises come from Indian books. For breathing technique, Asians, Chinese and Indians, are usually the authors of the book. 
Hence, with an increase of mileage, stretching became a necessity and it was more important to do in order not to get any form of injury. The only problem that I was experiencing was in not going fast enough. I learned from Harry Wilson on how to do simple strength training and I was getting faster in running, till I started doing sub-33min, from 36min 31sec, in the past.
John Sproule, my former lecturer, of Scottish ascent, in my teacher training days, told me to go to Loughborough University to train under Sir George Gandy, our Sports Technology lecturer for Athletics. 
Later on, I flew over to study and train there. I used to join the Loughborough Athletics Club on Tuesdays and Thursdays nights, from 7 to 9pm, religiously. 
I was getting faster. My friends who were Caucasians were observant and they told me frankly about this. Then, I was told to join on Wednesdays also for Loughborough Circuits. My local friends gave up the Loughborough Circuits as they found the circuits tough to handle. However, I found the circuits quite alright to handle. 
With speed endurance and stamina training, plus the strength training given, I was able to do a time of 31min 46sec for 10km. Once, after my exams, I did 15km, in 50m 18sec with only a week of training. In another race, I did 16km Bupa Race in 53min 52sec, as my Coach, Alan Guilder told me to run in the race. 
In short, I find that strength training did help me to perform better in running and I hope that people out there do some form of push-ups, sit-ups, and squats, superman exercise to do well in running, as these exercises involve major muscles groups. If major muscle group are engaged, usually minor muscle groups are engaged. 
In Loughborough Athletics Club, we have done 16 to 18 sets of exercises, and the exercises change over time. But, whatever it is, take note, I was doing a simple push up, sit-ups, squat thrust, and superman exercises to do sub – 33min five times in my life, and I feel strength training does form as a function of speed in running. One can achieve great speed by strength itself, even if speed training is not involved at all. There was once a past runner of mine. He did 9min 06sec for 3km run, 2 sec faster than N. Ganesan, the former national record holder for 5km. The boy was just doing stamina and strength training, with no speed training. This I am sharing with you using my own experience and it is real.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.