Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Darren Nin - Choosing Sports as a Passion

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Darren Nin - From Political Science to Sports as a Passion, while on his way to PHD. 

Displaying IMG_0529.JPG

I remember meeting Darren Nin in year, 2005, October. I went over to Hwa Chong Institution (college section) from the then Chinese High School. The moment I was there, it was found that the cross-country group that I was about to take charge of in the college had problems in forming a team. 

Displaying IMG_0518.JPG

Darren's name was suggested to me by Jeffrey Ng and Lee Siang Loong, who were already our runners. We had only two who were willing to run, and that was all. I did my part by talking to Darren to join our team and was hoping that he would join us. I was surprised that he was positive to my talk and he accepted to join us. 

The day he joined us, I was not sure of his commitment to training. I really didn't know his character well enough. Darren was also a quiet and reserved person at that time.

However, to my surprise, he showed great dedication in training and was very obedient in doing his training. He was always on time for training and was usually the first to arrive for training.

He also did not complain about training when the going gets tough and was always doing his best when a task was given to him. 


Displaying IMG_0499.JPG

I met his father for the convocation at NTU, 29/07/2014, where I was invited by Darren Nin, as I was one of his teachers to be honoured. His father told me that, in the past, he used to wake up at 5am to bring Darren to Hwa Chong for training. The father told me that it was around 5 30am that Darren reached school for training. Darren's team of the 2006 batch had to train extra hard for training as some of the runners like Darren were just coming to know about running. 

I was very appreciative of this and I thanked the father for supporting Darren in his running passion. His father has sacrificed for the son's passion a lot by accepting to lose some of his sleep. Darren, as I know, is one of the fastest to do a 7min 55sec for 2.4km in less than 9months. I had little time for Darren to progress and the tough training session in the morning and evening was crucial to win the championships. 

Many school teams had 8 runners in the year 2006 National Schools Cross Country race. With only 5 athletes in our team, we somehow miraculously won the second position for the team event in National Schools' Cross Country Championships. Fortunately, the judges counted the top four runners for the medals. Darren running for our team was very important for us and he came in 20th overall individual for our team. In our team, if two of the runners had fallen sick, we would not be able to run in the race at all.

Hence, I told Darren's father, Mr Nin, on the Convocation Day that things would not have been possible if Darren did not run for us. 

It was good to hear from NTU a few weeks ago on Darren's convocation in NTU.  I read the letter sent to me on Darren Nin (Hwa Chong Inst class of 05S67) having won the prestigious Koh Boon Hwee Scholars Award for the all-round success achieved in NTU. I felt that Darren needs to be honoured for the very good character that he had shown during Hwa Chong days, and I believe that he had shown the same spirit or working hard in NTU as well. I was surprised that Darren had chosen me to be honoured at NTU. 

On that day, I thoroughly enjoyed the occasion being with Darren and his family. Darren also introduced me to  Professor Veni Hong, as one of the two invited to be honoured. I found out from Darren that he was inspired by Dr Veni in mentoring his research project, that has led him to do his PhD studies in NTU, Singapore, for 2 years and 2 years in The Loughborough University of Technology, England. Darren was offered a scholarship for the study. Dr Veni shared with me on the days of her studies at Loughborough University. She also found out from Darren that I had studied at Loughborough University.

It looks like the three of us will over a period of time be the alumni of Loughborough University. I am very happy that Darren has chosen sports as his passion for his further studies and hope that he will contribute to society in the long run.



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.