Friday, April 25, 2014

Deaths In Marathon Races

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Death - Many deaths come from cancer and heart disease and least from running.

My own perception and experience - Heat Stress - One of the reasons for death




A study done in Singapore shows that people generally die of cancer, which has the highest rate, and from coronary heart disease, the second-highest, overall.   

In a press statement on 15th April 2014, by Health Promotion Board, it stated that the National Health Survey showed that 1.7million Singaporeans are having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 23 and above. It was also stated that these people are vulnerable in getting obesity-related diseases like diabetes and heart diseases.  

That means many will die through cancer and heart disease and the chances of dying from running a race is much less. The important thing to do is to do some prevention strategies to avoid the situation of risk of athletes dying from taking place.

In my experience, from the past, I have heard of people dying from a marathon. A few years back, when I ran the London Marathon, the weather went to 23 degrees centigrade. It was also tough for me and Daniel Ling, an athlete whom I was training at that time (local first in Standard Chartered Marathon 2007), who was also my working colleague. We found that an athlete actually died while crossing the finishing line of the London Marathon. It was a sad incident for us.

In 2014, just recently, another man also died while crossing the finish line of London Marathon. The weather was at 11 degrees when the race started and became slightly warmer over time. 

Somewhere in the early 1980s, I myself have been hospitalised by running in the race which was hot and humid and I collapsed when it was towards the finish. My whole body was going through a cramp situation. I was unconscious at first and then conscious when I was in the ambulance. 

In the hospital, I was not able to move my body for 2 days. I was given sodium through an intravenous (IV) so that I do not suffer from hyponatremia. I believe that I had a low level of sodium in my body. I was told to go home on the third day. 

From then on, I was very particular of not getting myself dehydrated running in a hot and humid climatic condition.  The athletes whom I have trained from past to present also did not face this type of problem as I would always advise them on hydration a day before the race and on the day of the race. I would advise the public to do likewise to avoid any form of heat stress and the chance of dying.

For race organizers, it is important to put races in cooler conditions so that the athletes reduce the risk of dying greatly and it also enables one to enhance performance in their timing. This needs 'the extra mile’ effort by the race organizers. 

Anyway, there may be other reasons for death that can take place and I would like to discuss this on my future blog post. 

Nevertheless, my message to one looking to be healthy is to not worry too much about death and to be informed on risk of cancer, heart disease and inactivity could do and make a wise decision on keeping oneself fit and strong by exercising to lessen the chance of death. 

As for the marathon runner, it is wise to take precautionary measures so that one could avoid death to the best of one's ability. I hope that the future blog post will suggest one make informed choices on their health before they embark on exercise programmes or to run any distance which is of endurance in nature.




Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.