Saturday, January 18, 2014

My 5km Singapore Cross Country Race - Doing sub-19min after 4 years

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

SAA Cross-Country 2014 - My first race of the year

I was sleeping well until it was 3 30am. After that, it was hard for me to sleep. Actually, I was not nervous about running the SAA Cross-Country race. I was tossing and turning in my bed, deciding whether to run the cross-country race or not as I felt tired. 

At 5 10am, I woke up and took my shower. Around 5 30am, I had to drive to Bedok Reservoir and arrived early for the race. 

Flexifitness runners Jensen, Sophia and Lim Thow Wee were there at Bedok by 7 40am. 

Sophia got her number tag from me and she ran the Women Youth 5km race which started at 8 05am, along with under 15 women runners. 

I realised that she ran upfront and was leading the pack. The first group ran the first 500m at 1min 50sec and they reached the first 1km at 3min 50sec.

The next thing I knew was that she was having a clear lead and she crossed the finish line in 20min 16sec. 

As for my race, I started to do some warm-up at 9am and gradually proceeded to the start line with fellow Flexifitness athletes Jensen Toh and Lim Thow Wee. 

We ran the race and reached the first 1km at about 3min 45sec. The lead pack were way in front. I told myself that the target for the day is to do a sub-19min. 

Jensen was in front of the two of us. I was going at a steady-state and decided to go like that for the rest of the run. 

Later on, at the 3km mark, Thow Wee came out to go faster at the last two kilometres. 

Thow Wee went in front of Jensen later on and reached the finish line in 18min 38sec. Jensen reached the finish line in 18min 46sec, a new personal best time. 

I did 18min 56sec and came in 6th in Men Masters. A season-best time for me indeed.

Overall, the weather was cooling and the day was not hot at all. I enjoyed the run, especially doing a sub-19min, finally, for the 5km race. 



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.