Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Kariel's 17min improvement in Gold Coast Half-Marathon (1hr 57min 37sec, on 06/07/2014)

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Saranniya

Kariel - Couldn't believe the 17min improvement in the Gold Coast Half-Marathon 2014.


In the past, I saw Kariel running the time trials with me. Usually, she used to be much slower than me a time trial. Over time, it was not the case. She was able to run faster and has caught up with me. 

After some time, busy with her work and ankle injury, she came back recently, to train hard and was finally able to do a sub- 2hrs in Gold Coast Marathon. 

Her 5km timing during time trials showed that she is getting faster and it was shown in the half-marathon race held in Australia. 

All she wanted to do was a personal best time, around 2hr 10min. The personal best was sliced by 17min.  She was thankful to all the coaches of Flexifitness and appreciate their help rendered in training enabling her to do it.

Right now, she is feeling confident of half-marathon and marathon races and is hoping to do better. We wish her all the best for the upcoming races. 

I have interviewed her and will put this up in this blog so that others are inspired by her feat. 

An Interview With Saranniya

What kind of time did you expect from this race?
Initially, I have an ambitious goal which is 2 hours. After considering my last personal best is 2:14, I decide to change to 2:10 goal.

What was your time?
My time is 1:57:37

Are you happy with this time? Is it your personal best time?
I am near tears when I cross the finishing line as I didn't expect myself to complete under 2 hours. This is definitely my personal best time.

What made you have the confidence of running this time? 

I was worried initially because I was ruled out of running for 2 months due to ankle injury. I re-joined Fexi-fitness in June and there was only 1 month left before Gold Coast Half- marathon. I told Coach Rameshon my concern and he gave me a 1-month program. Besides, he has advised and emphasized on running economy and running techniques, which I have learnt from him and was is constantly reminding that in my mind for all runs, especially during race day. I felt confident after each week of training and I grew stronger and just got a new good personal best time for my 5km trial run. I am really grateful to all coaches, athletes who are students and training partners in Flexi-fitness for the encouragement and company during training!

Can you share with us on the splits of your race timing, like 5km, 10km, 15km and half-marathon timing?

Split time for 0-10km: 55min 10sec
11-20Km: 57min 01sec

What is your next goal?
My next goal is to be top 25 in September Straits Times 10 KM run.




Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.