Friday, December 18, 2015

Contributing To A Child's Success In Their Chosen Sports (Part 2A/3)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)




The Coach - Story leading me to become a coach. 

When I was a student at St Joseph's Institution, one of the foreign teacher by the name of Mr Brown, from England, asked me what I am going to be in future. Immediately, I told him that I would like to become a coach. That was when I was a secondary two student. Our school, at that time, supported sports to the maximum. My principal Dr Kevin Bryne encouraged us to run faster. In one annual School's Cross Country race, he mentioned my name in front of my father, in an announcement that I did 15m 55sec for 4.8km, and it made my day. However, my curiosity was there to see whether this manifestation of becoming a coach will come true or not, over time. 

At age eighteen, I assisted Sukhdev Singh, Maran and another Eurasian boy, who was Sukhdev's friend. It was at that age that I got myself started to be a trainee coach. It was more of learning how to coach. Sukhdev told me that he wanted to win the individual champion trophy in Gan Eng Seng School Track and Field Meet. He told me that he had been losing every time to a competitor by the name of Akaramutalvan. Akaramutalvan was genetically well endowed and was faster than him. I trained Sukhdev for about 3 months or so, and the latter became the individual champion, eventually. Akaramutalvan's elder brother Arul was a sub-33min 10km runner at that time until the latter became an Air Steward.  

After this achievement, I was focused on my own running. Most of the time, I had a problem struggling with studies, as there was not much interest in me to study. I found studying a chore at that time. In fact, I was not able to get through my GCE 'A' Levels Examination. I had to go into the Army to do my National Service. Only on the last two months, before leaving Army, that I trained very hard to do well in South East Asian Army meet at Lumut, Perak, Malaysia, 1986. I was able to do a 36min 31sec for 10km. I was very happy with the time. It was my biggest personal best at that made me adventure further into running. 

After that, I decided to go to the then College of Physical Education to study and train. I got in as I got through my GCE 'A' Levels, finally. After the first week, at the College, I told myself that it is important for me to train hard. I trained nearly every day, despite very heavy physical training from being a teacher trainee. When the things got tougher, somehow, I forced myself to run at least 10km every day. My friends, about 5 of them, used to run with me on three days per week. As the load got heavier for physical activities during our course, they decided not to run, as they were too tired to run, although we had planned to run together. 

I stayed away from coaching as I was thinking of running a fast 5km. 


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.