Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Experiments With Coffee (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By M.Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Coffee - Boosts performance



It is a well-known fact that coffee has a number of disadvantages. However, researchers, in the past and at present, are agreeable in acknowledging that coffee does boost performance and has a number of advantages as well. 

It was at Loughborough University that I was informed by my former lecturer Sir George Gandy, who explained to us in our Athletics lesson on the quantity that you need to take to boost performance.

I have tried drinking one drink per race all the time before the race and it has helped me to a great extent. That was during my competitive years. 

Over time, especially now. I have started to experiment on my body on the reaction I get by taking coffee just before a race. I thought about this recently on the need to share this experience to the outside world.

But before that, let me share with you on how I trained for the Chicago Marathon this year. Three months before the race, I tried to train. I was busy doing a number of Personal Training, and coaching. Hence, I was not able to train well. I was doing twice per week of training. However, I kept doing my longest mileage per week 20 to 25km, which was one long run per week. I decided to run The Chicago Marathon as conditioning run for races of the future to do a sub - 3hr run, rather than racing in it.

I started training very hard only in the last two weeks of the race. I ran nearly every day. I did three 30 to 35km distance run in this two weeks, using my own strategy to do a training that does not stress the joints and get myself injured. At the last 5 days, I did not focus on training, but I focused a lot of attention on rest and recovery instead. I told myself to focus on Stanchart Marathon 2014/or any AIMS certified marathon races in 2015.

The training methods I used for the Chicago Marathon was progressive and I was applying my knowledge that I have gained from running experience and after doing Physiology research at Loughborough University and also on following current research.

Hence, on 12 October 2014, on the Chicago Marathon race day, I tried drinking two coffee in the morning. Ashley Liew also witnessed this in the morning. It was surprising as I found that the race went very well that I did 3hr 30min 33sec. I was happy that I bettered my targeted time which was predicted to be 3hr 32min. 

During the run, I did not get any stitch and felt great. I ran the 10km in 44m 52sec and the half marathon in 1hr 37min. It was from here that I told myself that I have a lot of time to get the 3hr 32min. I felt great when I got 3hr 30min instead. 

For people who want to try two coffee, they must use this in their time trial or tempo to see the efficacy of the drink. I hope one does practice this before so that they are sure of not getting into physical complications, like getting stitch etc.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.