Friday, August 1, 2014

Darren Nin - From Sports Passion to Excellence in Sports (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Darren Nin - Passion leading to Excellence

Picture 1 - (Left to Right) Dr Veni, Rameshon, Darren Nin, Darren's parents.



Darren told me on his Convocation Day, 29/07/2014, Tuesday, that he has a personal best time of 7min 50sec for 2.4km. I was very happy to hear this. He told me that he did this time in NTU (Nanyang Technological University). From the discussion that I had with his father, I realised that Darren was with NUS for a year and was doing Political Science. Later on, he went to NTU for 3 years to do his degree related to Sports. (I will write some details in another blog post on this).

After his convocation, we went to have lunch together, hosted by NTU, at an annex building, nearby. I had an enjoyable conversation with Darren's father, where he told me some things which was of interest to me on Darren's sports earlier when he was in primary school.

I found out that Darren took basketball as a CCA. Later on, he was taking swimming. When I heard this, I thanked the father for doing the favour of giving him sports and games when he was young. I told him that this action of his, in the past, had allowed me to enable Darren to do a 7min 55sec for 2.4km, within a span of 9 months of training. I started training Darren when he was 2 months away from being promoted as a Pre-U 2 student, as a Hwa Chong student.

I believe that when Darren was doing the sports course in NTU, it must have made him realise and acknowledge that whatever I am doing is good for developing motor skills for children. He told me that it is crucial to do this when one is young. If one misses, by 16 years of age, nothing can be done to improve the Central Nervous System (CNS). He wrote to me in Facebook and endorsed what I am doing. 

The good thing is that he also shared with me on some studies done on motor skills for young children. I still have it. He told me that earlier doing these skills will do a big favour to the child to excel in sports where a high level of coordination is needed to perform an advanced skill or technique. 

I was thankful to God for enabling me to be reasonably good in basketball and soccer. This allowed me to do well in running later on in life. 

To be a good well-rounded person, Darren's basketball and swimming has helped him to do well in running and athletics. Thanks to his responsible father who has given the best to Darren.

Darren's willingness to train hard must have rubbed on to him to go an extra mile in studies and to excel in both running and studies. He has done us proud and I hope that young children take him as a role model, who has passion and good character as well.

I have heard that he did a number of voluntary services to the society, locally and in overseas, and has been to China to be an intern to do research on shoes at Li Ning (Sports Company). 

Dr Veni, Darren's mentor, discussed with me on the running shoes etc. I learned a number of things from Darren and Dr Veni, and in fact from Darren's father as well. I felt that it was a knowledge outing for me on Darren's Convocation at NTU on 29/07/2014. It was a memorable day, indeed!



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.