Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Different Strategies in Running Stanchart Marathon 2013 - Part 1

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Strategy - There is no such thing as no strategy.

So far, I have taken part in as many as 50 marathons. Before the run, usually, I will come up with a strategy. 

In this Stanchart Marathon, I realise that my aim is to do a minimum 3hr 20min. However, since I am taking a bigger risk of aiming to run a sub-3hr run in the race, I do not mind a 3hr 30min as a progressive time to reach before I aim for a sub-2hr 50min next year and attempt for a sub-2hr 45min or a sub-2hr 40min in the year after next. I feel that I can do it!

One of the alternative strategies that I have in my mind right now is to run the first kilometre in 3min 30 to 3min 35sec pace. I have done this in the year 2007 and 2008 for Stanchart Marathon. Later on, in the race I am intending to hang on to a 4min to 4min 10 pace, throughout, from the start till the end. The biggest challenge for me is only when I hit the wall at the 32kilometres mark. Anything can happen here. Research shows that the glycogen stores that we have in the body can only last us to run hard for 1st one hour only. Then, fats, as an energy source, comes in as the next predominant source of energy in the race. Fats can slow us down a lot. 

I have done carboloading for the first two days already and told the group of runners that they have to carbo-load scientifically. In Gold Coast marathon this year, I was not able to carbo-load well enough, as I took carbohydrates predominantly all the way for the 7 days prior to the race. I believe that by taking predominantly fats and protein for the first 3 days and the next 3 days with carbohydrates, I will be able to overcome the 'hitting of the wall'. 

Hence, this is going to my strategy out of the 3 strategies I have.



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.