Monday, September 24, 2012

Gold Coast Marathon 2013 - Here I come

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By M.Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Gold Coast Marathon 2013 - Dilemma choosing between Gold Coast Marathon race or 10km race.

Picture 1 - (Left to Right) Daniel Ling (second), Rameshon (1st) and Dr Ben Tan (3rd) in Stanchart 2008



In 2008, I was local first in Stanchart Marathon in Men Open category with a time of 2hr 49min. I could have done a 2hr 45min which I was capable of  but some cramps on my legs made me to voluntarily slow down my running speed and finish in a winning time rather than risking the race itself by stopping during the competition. On that year, while I came in first, my fellow trained group of dedicated athletes, Daniel Ling and Dr Benedict Tan came in second and third for the race, respectively. Dr Ben Tan wrote a book on 'Run For Your Life' immediately after that, 3 months later. The book is very informative for an aspiring runner to purchase.

The following year, I remember doing a 52min 30sec for 15km run time trial a month before the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2009. The subsequent week, I remember getting ITB problems which actually derailed my aim of running in the race itself. I was, in fact, aiming for a 2hr 34min that year. 

I saw Dr Ben Tan about the injury and found that it was too late to solve. Hence, I give it a go. Hence, my focus was more on Ashley Liew to run a good race. He was able to do 2hr 51min in Stanchart 2009. In the year 2010, he did 2hr 52min, where it was found that he was injured for some months by falling from the bike. Being resilient, in the year 2011, Ashley trained very hard and completed his race in 2hr 45min in the Hong Kong marathon. In July 2012, he did 2hr 41min in Gold Coast Marathon 2011. Then in the year 2012, Feb, Ashley did 2hr 38min in Hong Kong Marathon before going on to do a 2hr 35min 40sec for Gold Coast Marathon 2012. 

While he was doing these progressive timing, Gold Coast provided me with the opportunity of running a 10km race this year. It was held a day before Ashley's race. I just wanted to complete the race. I was at first apprehensive of running as I could remember running a Sentosa 10km race with my weight at 66kg. I did 55min at that time. It was in the year 2005 then.

In Gold Coast, this year, my target was to do a sub-50min for this year's 10km. I did not train enough and I told myself that I actually came here with the intention to assist Ashley. Hence, I did not pressure myself on my own performance time. When the run started, I was actually about 70 metres from the start. I ran a 4min 45sec pace to 5min pace, and at the last 3km, I did 4min 30sec, 4min 20sec and 3min 59sec for the last 3km of each kilometre of the run. I was very happy with the 46min 58sec, having a weight of 66kg. 

On 15th Sept 2012, with encouragement from friends, I entered in the 5km race for MOE Olive Run. It was more of a fun run. However, I told myself that even though I am did not train enough, from Gold Coast 10km run time, I predicted myself to do a sub 22min for a 5km run. Things worked out very well for me as I ran the 2.5km half-way mark in 9min 30sec and I finally did 19min 36sec for the 5km run. 

Hence, my second race is over for now after a long gap of not running competitively. In the coming Gold Coast marathon race, my plans are such that I am going with Ashley so that he can attain a personal best time or a sub- 2hr 30min for the race. While I am doing that, there may be a possibility of me running in Gold Coast marathon. The reason is because of my experience of running in the 10km race. When I was running the race, I did not feel tired throughout the race. The atmosphere was very vibrant. I was not blocked by anyone during the race at any point. The kilometre markers were placed exactly so that I can do good splits for the run. 

These experiences that I had there, are making me try a marathon race and aim for a possible 2hr 50 to 3hr 20min there if I can do some training as well. Of course, my training will not be like how I trained in the past. Right now, it is Ashley's turn to go for it. If he keeps going on, he will one day do a sub-2hr 20min for the marathon. With the latest technology developed, I believe that Ashley could do between 2hr 10 to 2hr 18min in future. 

As for me, Gold Coast Marathon 2013 is going to be the next important race after my recent race in MOE Olive Run 2012, although I might be running in some mini-races if I have the opportunity to run. I hope that my training will go very well for this race. Else, I will stick to 10km Gold Coast race 2013 if my training mileage is not there. So, Gold Coast marathon or 10km, here I come.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.